Something More

Craig PrattCraig Pratt knows that Purdue University Calumet offers “something more” than just curriculum, it offers opportunities. For Pratt, the university allowed him to build a foundation and helped shape him into the person he is today. Yes, the university allowed him to become successful.

After graduating from Hammond High School and serving in the United States Air Force, Pratt began his studies at Purdue University Calumet in management and quickly found his true passion in finance.

“I could not see myself sitting behind a desk and doing accounting all day. I knew there had to be more. And you know what? This university showed me how.” He credits the university with landing him in the banking industry, a career he might not have had otherwise. “There is a great future for people who want to work hard. You just need to find the best path, one that will make you better, and one in which you are needed.

I owe a lot to Purdue University Calumet. If it hadn’t been for this university, I wouldn’t have completed my degree. At that time in my life, I was married, working six days a week, and I had to work hard,” Pratt says. In addition to finding a career in banking and earning his degree, he met his wife Dolores Knight Pratt (BA ‘76, MS ‘81) on our campus.

Pratt is senior vice president of Fifth Third Bank and continues to “go back to his foundation” by serving as a member of the Chancellor’s Advisory Board where he provides support and guidance to the university’s strategic vision.

Pratt has played an intricate role in Fifth Third Bank’s partnership with Purdue University Calumet, including sponsorship of Dowling Park’s softball field (see page 3), Veterans Day event, and programs for school-age children.

Pratt’s advice is, “Don’t forget where you came from. You are walking on the shoulders of other people… Don’t ever underestimate that.”

–By Jacqueline von Ogden (BA ‘03)

Veterans raising the flagFifth Third Bank sponsored our 2013 Veterans Day event and reception that began with an 8 a.m. flag raising ceremony. “Every single person that lives in the United States benefits from the hard work, commitment, and sacrifice of our nation’s soldiers,” Pratt said as he addressed the crowd. Betty Moseley Brown served as the keynote speaker and the Hammond Academy of the Performing Arts combined concert band preformed. Additionally, Fifth Third Bank employees and Purdue University Calumet students and staff prepared 550 care packages for overseas service men and women.

“Don’t forget where you came from. You are walking on the shoulders of other people… Don’t ever underestimate that.”