The message of Purdue University Calumet
By THOMAS L. KEON
An effective, sustainable enrollment management plan that accentuates the needs and nature of our changing Purdue Calumet is among our highest university priorities.
When Vice Chancellor Carmen Panlilio joined our staff this summer, she came with experience, a vision and ideas for advancing the enrollment management efforts of a regional university adapting to change.
My message in The Bridge over the next three issues will focus on how we plan to grow and sustain our enrollment. In this first message, I am addressing key components of the Purdue Calumet message we want prospective and current students to understand.
- Our graduates earn a Purdue degree. — They earn the same, world-respected Purdue baccalaureate and master’s degrees awarded throughout the Purdue system and put to good use across the world. Not only that, but the Purdue education offered on our campus is distinguished by experiential learning, the integration of traditional and real world learning that produces enlightenment, discovery and experience.
- The education our students obtain offers value and affordability. — We provide a Purdue education at one of the least expensive tuition rates in Indiana. That education leads to a job that pays a competitive salary. For such return on investment, Purdue Calumet has been ranked No. 2 in Indiana by The College Database. We also have an impressive track record of graduates who enter and succeed in master’s and doctoral programs.
- Location…location…amazing location… — Only at Purdue Calumet can students gain a Purdue education within half an hour of the rich culture and cosmopolitan appeal of downtown Chicago, as well as the natural beauty and fascination of Lake Michigan, its Indiana Dunes lake shore area and more.
- We offer a campus of opportunities. — Purdue Calumet is both big enough and small enough to make any student feel comfortable. Access to faculty, scores of student organizations, a thriving athletics program, a variety of facilities and experience-rich ways to grow personally and professionally make our campus a gratifying launching pad to success.
- Student centeredness — Proactively, we are committed to partnering with students to help them grow, develop, achieve goals and succeed—on campus and, ultimately, beyond. All our students should feel at home and comfortable knowing they are surrounded by faculty and staff who can and will help them complete their degrees.
The components of our message are for all of us to embrace and convey consistently and continually. Let us spread our message.
Thomas L. Keon