Placement Testing at Purdue Calumet
The Testing Services Center oversees placement for the following subjects: English, math, and foreign language (French, German & Spanish). Placement testing is designed to situate students in the appropriate courses.
- English and foreign language placement must be taken in the Testing Services Center, Lawshe 118. Please bring ID and student ID number with you to test.
- Math placement can now be completed online through ALEKS. Math placement testing is mandatory for incoming freshmen, transfer students and students re-entering Purdue Calumet after one year.
- Math placement must be completed prior to registration for New Student Orientation, now mandatory for all new incoming students, transfer students and students re-entering Purdue Calumet after one year.
- Please use the following link for more information about ALEKS and to complete assessment:
What to Bring to Testing Services Center
- Bring a photo ID and your student ID number with you to each test.
- If taking a foreign language exam, please view the Foreign Language Placement Procedures.
How to Plan for Your Test
English & Foreign Language Placement at the Testing Services Center:
- Tests are administered in Lawshe 118.
- Tests are available on a walk-in basis; you do not need to make an appointment.
- Contact the Testing Services Center at (219) 989-2504 if you have any questions.
Math Placement using ALEKS:
- Plan to spend about 90 minutes to complete the assessment.
- Log in to the MyPUC portal using the login and password provided in Admissions letter.
- No prior studying is necessary before taking the ALEKS assessment online. Each students is allowed to retest up to four times; however, after first two attempts, use of the learning modules provided through ALEKS will be required in order to retest. Please note that your subscription lasts for six weeks from your initial sign-in to ALEKS.
- Your highest ALEKS percentage score will be used for placement.
- Math placement testing is mandatory for all incoming freshmen, transfer students and students re-entering Purdue Calumet after one year.
- English placement testing can be used in lieu of high school English grades and verbal SAT scores for students who are 23 years of age or older.
- Foreign language tests are strongly recommended, given to those who will be taking French, German, and Spanish foreign language courses.
- Retest for English placement test is allowed ONLY by signed authorization from department head.
- Retests are NOT ALLOWED for foreign language placement tests; tests can be taken only one time.
The following resources can help you prepare to do your best on the exams:
CoolMath.Com: A Math Review Resource
For English placement, ACCUPLACER launched a study app for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. For only $1.99, students can brush up on their skills and become familiar with the style and content of questions asked on an ACCUPLACER test. For additional information on the ACCUPLACER Study App, click here: http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/accuplacer-iphone-app.pdf?ep_mid=10311301&ep_rid=68459053
- “Reasonable accommodations” are available (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act). Students should contact the Office of Disability Services to make proper arrangements: (219) 989-2455.