CLEP® (College Level Examination Program):
CLEP exams evaluate non-traditional college-level education, such as independent study, correspondence work, experiential learning or credit earned at a non-regionally accredited institution. The CLEP® exam is a 90-minute, computerized exam that, if successfully passed, allows students to receive college credit in a particular course. This service is provided for anyone wanting to receive college credits through CLEP®.
Purdue Calumet CLEP Credit Policy
Purdue Calumet CLEP credit may be established by taking the subject matter examinations shown and having an official score report sent with the qualifying exam and score to the Office of Admissions. (General examinations credit is not accepted.) Please note that not all CLEP exams offered through College Board have equivalencies through Purdue University Calumet.
A complete listing of CLEP Scores/Equivalencies is located in the Purdue University Calumet Course Catalog at the following link: http://www.purduecal.edu/catalog/
Information about the CLEP® can be obtained at by visiting the College Board web site at www.collegeboard.org. Students can download the “Information for Candidates” booklet for important CLEP® information as well as view testing preparation resources.
Taking the CLEP® at PUC:
- The CLEP® examination is administered by the Testing Services Center at Purdue University Calumet, located in Lawshe 118.
- A registration-admission form needs to be completed for exam registration. The registration-admission form must be returned to the Testing Center in person, by mail, or by fax. Students find the form by:
Mail or Fax to: Purdue University Calumet
- Personally picking up a CLEP® booklet from the Testing Services Center
- Printing the form from the College Board web site at www.collegeboard.org
- Calling the Testing Services Center at (219) 989-2504 to arrange for the form to be sent by mail
2200 169th Street
Hammond, IN 46323-2094
Lawshe 118 PHONE: (219) 989-2504
FAX: (219) 989-2926
- CLEP® tests are administered by appointment only. Please note your preferred date & time for testing on the registration-admission form. After receiving your form, the test administrator will notify you by either email or phone to confirm a test date.
- Bring a photo I.D. on the day of the exam. Books, study guides, calculators, etc. are not allowed in the testing area.
- There is a $80.00 fee payable to CLEP® by check, money order, or credit card for each exam taken. After July 1, 2012, this fee will be increased to $80.00. If you are taking multiple exams and will be paying CLEP® by check or money order, please write a separate check for each exam taken.
- There is also a separate $20.00 non-refundable service fee payable to Purdue Calumet by check or money order. You may return the checks or money orders with the registration form. Credit card information will be taken on the day of the exam. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, and JCB are accepted. Do not send cash.
- If you plan to take an optional essay exam for Freshman College Composition, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature, English Literature, and American Literature, there is a separate $10.00 fee. This exam will take at least two weeks to arrive at the Testing Center. Please note, the essay exam will take an additional 90 minutes to complete. However, you may take the computer portion of the exam and schedule your written exam at a later date. Please plan accordingly.
CLEP Test Payment:
All fees for CLEP testing must be paid prior to your testing date and time. This can be done by completing the CLEP Test Payment Form and paying at the office of the Bursar, located on the first floor of Lawshe Hall at the Purdue University Calumet campus. A receipt will be attached to your form upon payment; please bring the form with receipt with you to your testing appointment.
Please contact the Testing Services Center with any questions or to schedule a proctored exam at (219) 989-2504 or firstname.lastname@example.org.