Refereed Journal Articles (11)
- Chandramouli, M., Narayanan, B., & Bertoline, G. R. (2013). A Graphics Design Framework to Visualize Multi-dimensional Economic Datasets. Engineering Design Graphics Journal, Volume 77(3), 1-14.URL: http://www.edgj.org/index.php/EDGJ/article/view/382 [Opens in New Window].
- Chandramouli, M., & Bertoline, G. R. (2013). A Review of Multi-Objective Design Optimization and the Use of Genetic Algorithms Interior Design Optimization. International Journal of Engineering Research & Innovation. 5(1), 33-40. URL: http://www.ijeri.org/issues/spring2013/spring2013.htm [Opens in New Window]
- Fathizadeh, M., Latif, N., Neff, G., Higley, J., Zahraee, M., Hossain, A. (2013) Implementation of a New Mechatronics Engineering Technology Degree Leveraging Industry Support, Technology Interface International Journal, Winter Issue (TIIJ) Vol. 14 N1, pp.
- Jin, G. and Nakayama, S. (2013). Experiential Learning through Virtual Reality: Safety Instruction for Engineering Technology Students. Journal of Engineering Technology, 30 (2), 14-21.
- Kim, T. H., Tipper, D., & Krishnamurthy, P. (2013). Localized Algorithm to Improve Connectivity and Topological Resilience of Multi-hop Wireless Networks. Journal of information and communication convergence engineering, 11(2), 69-81. URL: http://www.koreascience.or.kr/article/ArticleFullRecord.jsp?cn=E1ICAW_2013_v11n2_69
- Kim, M. and Lee, J. [KJ1] (2013). Effects of Geogrid Reinforcement in Low Volume Flexible Pavement. Journal of Civil Engineering and Management, 19, Special Issue, S14-S22.
- Pena, J. and Schuzer, K.; (2013). Design of Reusable Emergency Relief Housing Units using General-Purpose (PP) Shipping Containers. The International Journal of Engineering Research and Innovation. International Journal of Engineering Research & Innovation. Volume 4, Number 2, Fall Winter.
- Tu, M., & Xu, D. (2013). Resilience as a New System Engineering for Cloud Computing. Journal of Communications, 8(4). URL: http://www.jocm.us/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=85&id=360
- Tu, M., Ma, H., Xiao, L., Yen, I. L., Bastani, F., & Xu, D. (2013). Data Placement in P2P Data Grids Considering the Availability, Security, Access Performance and Load Balancing. Journal of Grid Computing, 1-25. URL: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10723-012-9232-5#page-1
- Yang, J. (2013). Teaching Programming to Visual Learners, International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science, 10(3): 72-76. ISSN (Online ) : 2091 -1610. URL: http://ijitcs.com/volume%2010_No_3/Volume_10_No_3.php
Wu, H., Li, W., Winer, C., & Yao, L. (2013). Research on the Security of Virtual Network with Xen Platform. Information Technology Journal, 12(23).
New Edition of Book (reflects software updates) (6)
- Tickoo, S. (2013). AutoCAD 2014: A Problem Solving Approach. USA: CADCIM, ISBN: 978-1-936646-55-5
- Tickoo, S. (2013). Autodesk Inventor 2014 for Designers. USA: CADCIM, ISBN: 978-1-936646-48-7
- Tickoo, S. (2013). CATIA V5R21 for Designers. USA: CADCIM, ISBN: 978- 978-1-936646-13-5
- Tickoo, S. (2013). NX8.5 for Engineers and Designers. USA: CADCIM, ISBN:978-93-5004-054-6
- Tickoo, S. (2013). Solid Edge ST5 for Engineers and Designers. USA:CADCIM, ISBN: 978-1-936646-39-5
- Tickoo, S. (2013). SolidWorks 2013 for Designers. USA: CADCIM, ISBN: 978-1-936646-46-3
Refereed Conference Proceedings (22)
- Abramowitz, H., Johnsen, E., Roller, M.A., Zhao, W., Liu, X., Zhang, L., Zhang, X. (2013). Demonstration of Tutorial for 3-D Visualization of Ternary Phase Diagrams. Proceedings from Materials Science & Technology 2013; Advanced Steel Metallurgy: Design, Processing, and Technological Exploitation. Montreal, Quebec: Material Science & Technology. URL: www.programmaster.org/PM/PM.nsf/ApprovedAbstracts/CFE49115D133D49F85257B2F007B5152?OpenDocument
- Agrawal, J. and Farook, O. (2013) “A Case for Python Scripting in Undergraduate Engineering Technology”, ASEE 2013 American Society for Engineering Education, 120th Annual Conference, June 23 – 26, 2013, Atlanta, GA.
- Agrawal, J., (2013) “Modeling and Simulation of Low Duty Ratio Buck Synchronous Converter Under Large Load Current Switching”, The 63rd Electronic Components and Technology Conference, ECTC-2013, May 28-31 2013, Las Vegas, NV.
- Ahn, Y. and Jin, G. (2013). Type + Code: A Code Driven Typography. Proceedings of Art Paper Program on IEEE Visualization Conference (IEEE VIS 2013), October 13 – October 18, 2013, Atlanta GA, USA. URL: http://visap2013.sista.arizona.edu/papers/Ahn_TypeCodeII.pdf
- Calix, R. A., Javadpour, L., Khazaeli, M., & Knapp, G. M. (2013, May). Automatic Detection of Nominal Entities in Speech for Enriched Content Search. In The Twenty-Sixth International FLAIRS Conference.
- Chandramouli, M., & Bertoline, G. R. (2013) Stimulating Interest in Technological and Engineering Literacy Using a Multidimensional Desktop Virtual Reality Framework. Proceedings of the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE), 2013
- Chen, B. and Jin, G. (2013). Visualization of Human Brian Optical Fiber Connectivity. Proceedings of Hong Kong International Conference on Engineering and Applied Science (HKICEAS 2013), December 19 – December 21, 2013, Hong Kong, Hong Kong. URL: http://www.hkiceas.org/index.asp?id=46
- Engle, C. and Neff G., “MET senior Projects as a Means of Developing Laboratory Experiments and Equipment for Course Labs,” 2013 ASEE Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Fathizadeh, M., and Seim, D., (2013), Design and Implementation of Geothermal Systems for Heating and Air Conditioning, Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2013 Vol. I, WCECS 2013, 23-25 October, pp326-331, Best Paper Award
- Fathizadeh, M., Cabrera, G., (2013), Implementing Industry Leverage to Establish a New Automation Equipment training Center, Proceedings of the spring 2013 Mid-Atlantic Section Conference of the American Society of Engineering Education.
- Fathizadeh, M., J. Yen, M. Werthman,(2013), Integration of PackML in Engineering Education, Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2013 Vol. I, WCECS 2013, 23-25 October, 2013, San Francisco, USA
- Hossain, A., Zahraee M., (2013) Remote Demonstration of Packaging Machinery Systems Via Public Network, Instrumentation Division, ASEE Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA
- Jiang, K., Zheng Y. (2013). Mining Twitter Data for Potential Drug Effects. Advanced Data Mining and Applications: the 9th International Conference on Advanced Data Mining and Applications (ADMA 2013), Hangzhou, China: Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) Volume 8346, pp. 434–443, Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. Print ISBN: 978-3-642-53913-8. URL: http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-53914-5_37
- Jin, G. and Fouad, H. (2013). RADIS: Real Time Affective State Detection and Induction System. MODSIM World Conference & Expo 2013 (MODSIM 2013), April 30- May 2, 2013, Hampton VA, USA.
- Johnson J. (2013). Operationalizing Experiential Learning at Purdue University Calumet. National Society for Experiential Education Annual Conference, September 30- October 2, 2013, St. Petersburg, FL.
- Latif, N, Zahraee M., A, Colwell, J;(2013) Impact of a Successful Technology Graduate Degree Program – Report on program and its graduates. Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Meeting. Atlanta, GA. (Session M693C – Issues in Engineering Technology Education)
- Latif, N. and Colwell, J., (2013) Design, Development and Implementation of a Master of Science Degree in Modeling, Simulation, and Visualization, Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the American Society for Engineering Education, Atlanta, Georgia, June 23-26, 2013
- Latif, N., Zahraee, M., and Colwell, J., (2013) Impact of a Successful Technology Graduate Degree Program- Report on program and its graduates, Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the American Society for Engineering Education, Atlanta, Georgia, June 23-26, 2013
- O’Day, D. R., & Calix, R. A. (2013, July). Text message corpus: Applying natural language processing to mobile device forensics. In Multimedia and Expo Workshops (ICMEW), 2013 IEEE International Conference on (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Tu, M., Xiao, L., & Xu, D. (2013, June). Maximizing the Availability of Replicated Services in Widely Distributed Systems Considering Network Availability. In Proceedings of 7th IEEE International Conference on Software Security and Reliability (SERE), (pp. 178-187). IEEE. Link : http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=6571708
- Tu, M., & Xu, D.(2013). System resilience modeling and enhancement for the cloud. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking, and Communications (ICNC) (pp. 1021-1025). San Diego, USA. Jan. 2013. Link: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=6504231
- Zaman T., Hossain, A., (2013) Undefined Obstacle Avoidance and Path Planning of an Autonomous Mobile Robot in a Two-Dimensional Workspace, Instrumentation Division, ASEE Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA
Technical Reports/Trade Journal Articles (4)
- Jenks, C. (Arbitrator) AMG Resources Corp. and United Steelworkers, Local 2003-02. Westlaw 2013 WL 4648556
- Jenks, C. (Arbitrator) Federal Bureau of Prisons and American Federation of Government Employees, Local3652. Westlaw 2013 WL 3279185
- Jenks, C. (Arbitrator) Social Security Administration, Region V and American Federation of Government Employees, Local 3448. Westlaw 2013 WL 6263398
- Zahraee, M. (2013, February 9-13), TAC/ABET Consultation Report for Jubail Industrial College Manufacturing ET and Mechanical Maintenance ET programs (ETAC)
- Scachitti, S., Member Editorial Board, Journal of Engineering Technology
- Tu, M., Member, Editorial Board, WebPub Journal of Scientific Research
Sitting on Boards of Professional Societies (Nationally)
- Chair, Instrumentation Division, ASEE; 2013 – present (Hossain, A.)
- Secretary/Treasurer, Instrumentation Division, ASEE; 2010 –2013 (Hossain, A.)
- Member of ABET Board of Directors; 2013-2016 (Zahraee, M.)
- MTM Association for Standards and Research, Board of Directors (Scachitti, S.)
- 4th IAJC Conference, Co-Chair of Technology in Higher Education (Chandramouli, M.)
- The Fourth International Conference on Networking and Distributed Computing (ICNDC 2013), General Co-Chair (Jiang, K.)
- American Society of Engineering Education, Graduate Studies Division Secretary-Treasurer (Colwell, J.)
- Engineering Technology Leadership Institute, Member of Executive Council (Gregory, A.)
- National Society of Professional Surveyors – Trig Star Committee (Vice Chair / Secretary) (Gregory, A.)
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) Committee on Sustainability of Concrete, ACI Committee on Materials and Properties of Concrete – Durability, ACI on Materials and Properties of Concrete – Corrosion of Metals in Concrete (Pena, P.)
- Director, Engineerting Technology Council of the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)- (Latif, N.)
- Member, ASEE Diversity Committee (Latif, N.)
Awards and Recognitions
Faculty and Staff
- COT Outstanding Faculty for Graduate Education ( Jin, G.)
- PUC Outstanding Operations-Technical Employee (Dorsch, L.)
- Best paper award of International Conference on Electrical and Computer Application 2013 for the paper entitled , “ Design and Implementation of Geothermal Systems for Heating and Air-conditioning.” (Fathizadeh, M.)
- 2nd place finish in PMMI sponsored 2013 PACK Solutions Challenge at Pac Expo. Student team members: Florin Mustata, Armando Cabrera, Jr., Thaddeus Wleklinski, and Aminov Parvizsho.
External Grants Awards (11) $2,983,774
(Data provided by PUC Sponsored research office)
- JIANG, KEYUAN – PI, Harmony Link, Inc., Analysis of HL System Design – $9,492.00
- JIANG, KEYUAN – PI, Harmony Link, Inc., Analysis and Evaluation of NLP for the HL-System – $1,473.00
- LATIF, NIAZ – PI, LABOR U.S. DEPT OF, AWAKE – Assisting Workforce by Advancing Knowledge for Emplo – $1,370,745.50
- LATIF, NIAZ – PI, Sinclair Community College, Leadership Capacity Building for Manufacturing and Manufactu – $20,333.00
- MAPA, LAKSHMAN B – CO-PI, VETERANS AFFAIRS, DEPARTMENT OF, Facilitating Yellow, Green and Black Belt Training Sessions – $42,065.00
- SCACHITTI, SUSAN M – PI, VETERANS AFFAIRS, DEPARTMENT OF, Facilitating Yellow, Green and Black Belt Training Sessions – $126,195.00
- TU, MANGHUI – PI, PURDUE UNIVERSITY, System Resilience Modeling for Large Scale Computer Information Systems – $8,000.00
- WINER, CHARLES R – PI, UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS, C-PATH 2; Advancing the Successful IT Student Through Enhancement – $10,086.00
- WINER, CHARLES R – CO-PI, IN DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION, SUNRISE: Students Using New and Real-Life Initiatives in Science Eduation – $4,306.50
- ZAHRAEE, MOHAMMAD A – CO-PI, LABOR U.S. DEPT OF, AWAKE – Assisting Workforce by Advancing Knowledge for Emplo – $1,370,745.50
- ZAHRAEE, MOHAMMAD A – CO-PI, Sinclair Community College, Leadership Capacity Building for Manufacturing and Manufactu – $20,333.00
Internally-Funded Awards (6)
- PUC-NWICG, (B. Nicolai, G. Jin, C. Winer), Disaster Management and Communication System for NWI (DMCS-NWI), $207,838.43
- Undergraduate Research Project Grant, (M. Tu), Jonathan Fromin, Gina Sepic, Honeynet, a Tool for Security Incident Identification, Tracking, and Response, $600
- PUC Grant Develop Phase I (for NSF Career), (M. Tu), $2,500
- PUC Proposal Development Grant, (J. Yang), $2,500
- PUC Faculty Summer Research Grant “Determination of Response Time to Flood in Urban Drainage Systems Using Embedded Sensors and Computer Modeling”, (J. Lee), $3,000
- Undergraduate Research Project Grant (J. Pena), Anne McCormack, Pervious Concrete Used as An Alternative Material for Manhole Covers, $300
Continuing Education Activities (6)
- Apprenticeship Training. (Zahraee, M., Rickerson, R., Higley, J.) $162,000
- Industry Training, September 2013 (Fathizadeh, M.) $2,850
- Industry Training, July 2013(Fathizadeh, M.) $1,781
- CET 32200 – Astronomic and Geodetic Surveying – Spring 2013 (Gregory) $6,326
- CET 30400 – Legal Descriptions – Fall 2013 (Gregory) $7,815
- OLS 58000 – Interpersonal Skills for Leaders – Fall 2013 (Johnson)
Cash Gifts $294,926
(Data provided by PUC Advancement office)
- College of Technology $261,136
- Computer Information Technology and Graphics $695
- Engineering Technology $16,175
- Construction Science and Organizational Leadership $17,425
Gift-in-kind (1) $1,200
(Data provided by PUC Advancement office)
- Received two Variable Frequency Drive (VFDs) from Vetter Development Services, Chicago, IL; Net worth of $1200.00.
- Received ABET accreditation for Mechatronics Engineering Technology program
- Recognized (4th year in a row) as Best University for Attaining a Technology Degree by NW Indiana Business magazine
New Courses/New Concentrations Developed and Approved
- ECET 40400 – Wireless Communications and Networking – Jai P Agrawal
- IET 56000 – Discrete Event Simulation – J. Higley
- ITS 55000 — Biometrics — R. Calix
- Concentrations for MS Technology – Mechanical Engineering Technology
– Electrical Engineering Technology
– Industrial Engineering Technology
New Mode of Delivery of Existing Courses
- MET 21400 – Machine Elements – Course recorded in Adobe Connect for mudular presentation
- TECH 57900 – Sustainibilty Engineering – Converted from Distance Learning course to Live course
- ECET 21200 – Synchronous delivery and modular form of this course was developed and performed between College of Du Page and Ivy Tech during spring 2013.
- IT 50700 — Measurement and Evaluation for Industrial Technology — On-line — G. Jin
- ITS 47200 — Network Design and Implementation — ExL — T-H. Kim
- OLS 58000 – Interpersonal Skills for Leaders – On-Line (Johnson)
Courses Delivered for the First Time
- TECH 58100 – Digital Forensics – M. Tu
- TECH 58100 – Mechatronics system designing, modeling and integration – A. Hussain
- ECET 55500 – System Reliability – M. Fathizadeh