Alumni Spotlight

JenVac2

Jennifer Vacendak

Focus Area: Mechatronics Engineering Technology

Master of Science in Technology, 2013

Product Support Engineer
B&R Industrial Automation

How has your Master of Science in Technology helped you?

Mechatronics is a growing major, and I attracted a lot of interest from my employer by being a graduate of that program. Employers in Automation are looking for people that possess both Mechanical and Electrical knowledge, but also understand concepts that are unique to that field. I was even able to skip portions of our five-month training program for new hires, which benefitted both me and my employer.

Job Responsibilities

• Providing support to our partners and end-users from our North American HQ in the Atlanta area; my team strives to know everything about our current and previous lines of products in order to answer technical questions for new applications or assist if a machine is down.
  • We build test setups similar to existing customer machines or applications in development by our partner engineers in order to replicate issues, so the job can be very hands-on. We also work closely with Support and R&D at our main HQ in Austria.

Advice for Present and Future Students

Choose to participate in a Directed Project, as well as some internships and other activities related to your major (i.e. competitions). I cannot begin to express how valuable the contacts I made were at helping me find a career. The coursework and hands-on labs are definitely a solid foundation, but by putting those concepts to work outside of class and meeting people in the field, you set yourself up for success.

previous alumni in spotlight