Frequently Asked Questions of Student Employment

1. How do I get a job on campus?

Register as a student with CareerTrax, our on-line job posting system, at www.pucjobs.com. Follow the instructions for registering as a student. All student employment positions can be found on CareerTrax by scrolling over the “Jobs” tab and clicking on “All Jobs”. You will then filter out on-campus employment by clicking “Advanced Search” and typing in “Purdue University Calumet” in the Organization Name. All Federal Work-Study (FWS) positions can be found by scrolling over the “Jobs” tab in CareerTrax and then clicking on “Workstudy Jobs”. Some of these jobs are on-campus employment and other are approved off-campus nonprofit positions. If you are currently employed at a nonprofit organization, please let Student Employment know since we may be able to utilize your current employment within the FWS Program.

2. What is Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program?

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a need-based award received through financial aid when you complete your FASFA and select the option to be considered for “work-study” (question #31). FWS is not a grant and therefore is not free; however, it is also not a loan and does not need to be paid back. You work as a student employee on campus or off-campus in an approved nonprofit organization to earn your FWS award and receive your paycheck as you would in any other employment. The money earned is yours to keep to offset the cost of attending school.

3. Do I need to have Federal Work-Study to work on campus?

No; however, it is helpful! The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program requires a department to pay only 15% of your wages, while the FWS award supplements the other 85%. This enables departments to hire more students. Not all jobs require you to have FWS, but each job listing in CareerTrax will state whether or not the position requires applicants to have been awarded FWS.

Back to the Information for Students page.