The responsibility for all academic decisions belongs to the student.
Purdue University Calumet recognizes academic advising as a critical component of the educational experience of students. Upon admission to the university, all students are assigned to an academic advisor. Academic Advisors at Purdue University Calumet are committed to providing students accurate and timely academic advisement delivered through academic departments and schools, as well as through the Center for Learning and Academic Success (see CLAS).
Through collaborative relationships with assigned academic department’s advisors, students learn to define and implement strategic and efficient educational plans that are consistent with their personal values, goals, abilities and career plans. Effectiveness in advising requires that students and advisors jointly engage in this process together. It is recommended that students consult with their advisors at least once a semester to clarify effective progress towards a degree and/or discuss any other issues that may impact academic success.
Regardless whether academic advisement is through an academic department or CLAS, academic advisors and students need to be prepared for their meetings in order to maximize their time together. Advisors as well as students have responsibilities that, if met, lead to very productive meetings and outcomes.
Academic Advisors responsibilities with students include:
- Helping to clarify life and career goals
- Assessing individual academic abilities
- Developing suitable educational plans
- Assisting with selecting appropriate courses and complementary educational experiences
- Interpreting institutional requirements
- Enhancing awareness of available educational resources (such as internship opportunities, honors curriculum, service learning, experiential learning, supplemental instruction, and tutoring programs)
- Evaluating progress toward established goals
- Assisting with completing degree requirements in a timely manner
- Seeking out and referring to support services in the institution and the community
Student responsibilities with academic advisors include:
- Planning ahead to schedule meetings with advisors at times that do not coincide with priority enrollment when they are too busy to give you the time you would like
- Taking responsibility for your own education – know how to find and use the Purdue Calumet online catalog
- Knowing academic and professional goals
- Being familiar with your academic plan of study for intended major – or where to locate them in the online catalog
- Arriving to appointments on time and being respectful of your advisor’s time
- Being prepared for advising sessions by having researched your Plan of Study, and arriving at your appointment with questions related to the achievement of your goals