The Strategic Plan is based upon four interconnected goals:
- Academic Excellence
- Learning through Engagement and Discovery
- Community and Business Partnerships
Goal I: Academic Excellence
Advancing academic excellence is the foundation of all we do at Purdue University Calumet. Students, faculty, and staff are driven by the pursuit of personal and intellectual growth through academic programs of distinction. Degree programs and university resources center on providing students opportunities and challenges as they prepare for future success.
- We will assess undergraduate programs to develop measures of distinction for each program. Our review will be rooted in student interest and demand for the discipline, as well as meeting regional, state and national needs. We will ensure quality teaching and support for student learning.
We will assess graduate programs to develop measures of distinction for each program. Our review will be rooted in student interest and demand for the discipline, as well as meeting regional, state and national needs. We will expand services through the Office of Research and Graduate Studies to ensure the highest quality graduate programs.
- The current University Honors Program, begun in 2006, will develop into an Honors College to provide expanded opportunities for students to partner with faculty in undergraduate research.
- Recruitment and admissions strategies will focus on the needs and values of existing and potential students through an Enrollment Management Plan. Faculty, staff, students, student organizations and alumni will play a role in recruiting new students. We will provide financial aid counseling, including information about a range of scholarship programs, throughout the recruitment and enrollment process to help students attain a world-class Purdue degree at an excellent value.
- We will develop and implement additional advisory, instructional and support resources to help students succeed and graduate.
- Outstanding campus facilities are essential to advancing academic excellence and a positive student experience. Through careful management of resources, Purdue Calumet will fund appropriate and up-to-date laboratories and facilities. We will focus on the ongoing development and maintenance of an attractive, clean, and safe campus.
- Academic excellence thrives in an environment of diverse students and faculty with knowledge to succeed in the global economy. Purdue University Calumet will continue to strengthen sustainability of our international program, developing global learners by recruiting international students and enhancing study abroad opportunities. We will strengthen participation of our international students with their American classmates in the life of the campus, and encourage international faculty collaborations.
- Purdue Calumet prides itself on its high quality faculty and staff. We will continue to recruit, retain, develop and support employees who pursue excellence. The university will foster faculty research, scholarship, and teaching, invest in employee development and recognize employees’ accomplishments. Student employees will have enhanced opportunities to engage with staff toward personal success.
Goal 2: Learning through Engagement and Discovery
Collaborative work and research give students a rich learning environment and cultivate a lifetime of community involvement and leadership. Expanding our commitment to experiential learning and support for integration of teaching and research opportunities are essential to student success in our fast-changing, 21st century society.
- Purdue University Calumet students earn a world respected Purdue education distinguished by experiential learning opportunities. Purdue Calumet is nationally recognized as a leader in experiential learning – the integration of traditional and applied learning in a real-world environment as it applies to a student’s chosen field. We will assess, expand, and enrich experiential learning programs to meet student needs, including developing applied learning experiences within our own campus departments.
- We will foster a mentoring culture among students, faculty and staff to develop skills and knowledge outside of the traditional classroom and workplace settings, which will enhance personal and professional growth.
- We will enhance the holistic support and development of students, by providing institutionalized volunteerism opportunities, a student leadership development program, improved job and graduate school placement, and expanded health and wellness programs.
- We will increase opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to expand their education through participation in research.
Goal 3: Inclusivity
Inclusivity is defined as an environment in which all individuals feel part of the university community. Inclusivity goes well beyond diversity. Diversity recognizes the variety of characteristics that make us all unique, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious beliefs and political views. To become a truly inclusive campus, all of us must nurture a climate in which similarities and differences are respected.
- We will recognize and celebrate the diverse people who learn and work at Purdue University Calumet.
- We will expand the sense of community among students, faculty and staff with the university. We will foster global and intercultural awareness. We will broaden the sharing of culture with our international students.
- Our faculty and staff will embrace a culture of adaptation and change.
- We will improve the development of faculty and staff competencies in working with diverse groups.
- Purdue University Calumet will lead the development of an inclusive Northwest Indiana community.
Goal 4: Community and Business Partnerships
Purdue University Calumet plays an important role in the regional, state, national and global economies. Students, faculty and staff provide intellectual capital representing the internationally respected Purdue brand. Productive partnerships offer opportunities for mutual benefit while strengthening the university and enriching society.
Purdue Calumet will continue to increase its profile through expansion of the university’s athletics program, involvement in junior high and high school programs, and bold branding efforts.
- We will increase fundraising as a major university initiative. Students, alumni, faculty and staff all play a role in raising funds for the university and building a culture of philanthropy.
- We will improve engagement of our valued alumni and other “friends” of the university.
- Purdue University Calumet will continue to help shape regional economic development. We will develop the Manufacturing Center and the Commercialization Center; continue to support our world-class research centers for water, energy, and visualization and simulation technologies; and we will host forums and think tanks to bring together great minds on topics of importance to future generations.
- We will continue to work with business and community partners to maximize resources, provide support, and to strengthen our community.