IT Resource Acceptable Use Policy (VII.A.2C)
Volume VII: Information Technology
Chapter A: Acceptable Use
Issuing Office: OVCIS
Responsible Officer: VCIS
Responsible Office: OVCIS
Originally Issued:July 30, 2004
Revised: November 18, 2011
Calumet Revision: February 15, 2012
TABLE OF CONTENTS
This policy outlines the responsible use of all Purdue University Calumet computing and network resources (IT Resources). IT Resources are provided by the University to support its ongoing mission of offering educational programs of excellence focused on the professional, general educational and lifelong learning needs of the people of the Calumet region.
This policy covers students, faculty, staff, and any and all individuals granted IT Resource privileges at Purdue University Calumet and all uses of such IT Resources. Any individual who uses any IT Resources of Purdue University Calumet consents to all of the provisions of the following policy and agrees to comply with all of the terms and conditions set forth herein, all other applicable University policies, regulations, procedures, and rules, and with applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
Violations of this policy or any other University policy or regulation may be subject to revocation or limitation of computer and network privileges as well as other disciplinary actions or may be referred to appropriate external authorities.
Common sense and mutual respect for other users underlie all of the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of IT Resource users. Users of Purdue University Calumet IT Resources are expected to abide by the following guidelines;
- Comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
- Comply with all Purdue University Calumet policies, regulations, procedures, and rules.
- Respect the intellectual property rights of others. Making unauthorized copies of licensed software or copyrighted material is prohibited.
- Refrain from sharing passwords or accounts with anyone, including trusted friends or family members. Users will be held responsible for any actions performed using their accounts. Purdue University Calumet Information Services staff will never ask users for their passwords.
- Practice the same level of etiquette in all communication using Purdue University Calumet IT Resources as expected in non-electronic communication. Respect others when using Purdue Calumet IT Resources.
- Only access files or data if they belong to you, are publicly available, or the owner of the data has given you permission to access them.
Prohibited uses of Purdue Calumet IT Resources include the following:
- Circumvention of any security measure of Purdue University Calumet or another entity.
- Intentional use, distribution, or creation of viruses, worms, or other malicious software.
- Operating a business, usurping business opportunities, organized political activity, or conducting activity for personal gain.
- Excessive use of IT Resources, including, without limitation, resources such as bandwidth, lab computers, and paper.
- Implying that the user is representing, giving opinions, or otherwise making statements on behalf of the University without prior authorization or using Purdue University Calumet and Purdue University tradenames, logos, or trademarks without prior written authorization.
The University makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, with respect to the University IT Resources it provides. The University will not be responsible for damages resulting from the use of University IT Resources, including, but not limited to, loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, missed deliveries, service interruptions caused by the negligence of a University employee, or by any user’s error or omissions. The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through University IT Resources, except material represented as an official University record.
A computing asset provided by the University to further its mission of
general educational and lifelong learning needs of the people of the Calumet region.
- Delegation of Administrative Authority and Responsibility For Information Assurance, Security and Awareness (PUC-4) http://www.purdue.edu/policies/west-lafayette/wl-4.html
- Residence Hall Network Computing AUP www.itap.purdue.edu/security/policies/resnet.cfm
|Subject||Questions about this policy, or to report a suspected policy violation|
|Contact||Information Services Security & Assurance|
November 18, 2011: Policy number changed to VII.A.2 (formerly V.4.1).