Where Are They Now? Klarer Automotive

Editor’s Note: We first spotlighted Wilhelm Klarer and his new business back in 2009. We checked in with Klarer to see what is new at Klarer Automotive as part of our “Where are They Now?” feature.

In December 2009, Wilhelm Klarer was just launching his business, Klarer Automotive, and looking forward to a future as an entrepreneur.Wilhelm Klarer

“From Day 1 I wanted to start my own business – that was my ultimate goal,” Klarer said at the time. “But I was always afraid.”

Klarer has continued to build on his original foundation of offering import and domestic vehicle owners an alternative to dealership services. His expertise is rooted in his 15 years as a service technician at various dealerships with a focus on Mercedes and BMWs.

Since first opening, Klarer has continued to grow and expand, including a move in September 2012 from his previous Schererville location to 9430 Calumet Ave. in Munster. He also has added three full-time and two part-time employees over the years.

“The whole move was a lot of work but we are more efficient because of having more room and on Calumet is a better location. We are more visible,” he said. “We are continually growing with new customers.”

He has continued to work with NW-ISBDC business adviser Cindy Bertram as he develops his business.

“We talk about new ideas and she keeps me informed,” Klarer said. “It’s nice to know others are going through something like I am and facing challenges … it makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one going through something.”

As a more seasoned business owner, he advises new entrepreneurs to slow down and take the time to understand what owing a business entails.

“It’s a lot of work, time, money and patience. You have to put your heart into it to make it work,” he said. “You got to think about it. If you are weak about it … you have to be strong and stick with it. I am glad I found Cindy – that did help me a lot especially my comfort level (that others face challenges).”

More information

Location: 9430 Calumet Ave. in Munster
Phone: (219) 718-6322

Web site: www.klarerautomotive.com

Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through
Friday; 8:30 a.m. to noon Saturdays

Pick-up and drop-off available by appointment