Camtasia is computer screen recording and video editing software. You can use Camtasia to:
- Narrate and record PowerPoint slides, Web pages, or software demonstrations
- Edit your recordings with the powerful, yet easy to use, video editor
- Enhance your recordings with ready-to-use themes, animated backgrounds, graphics, callouts, and more
- Create captions for audio in your recordings
- Create in-video quizzes that integrate with Blackboard
How to obtain Camtasia
Camtasia is available for faculty and staff using Windows and Mac on their work or home computer.
Student/Grad Student/Limited Term Lecturer/Visiting Scholar: Not eligible but may have their full time direct supervisor complete the Registration form for a University installation, may not install on a Personally owned computer. However, Camtasia can be made available on University-owned machines for student use. To request a copy of Camtasia,
- Download the request form from the West Lafayette website: Camtasia and SnagIt Request Form
- Fill out and sign the form. Be sure to specify which version is needed – Mac or PC.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the software request form.
- Once the form has been received and your identity and status have been validated, you will be notified via email and/or a support ticket with instructions on how to access the software and license key using FileLocker.
How to use Camtasia
Please see Recording and Uploading a Lecture to learn how to record and produce a lecture using Camtasia and upload it to Blackboard. To create a lecture with captions, please see Camtasia Lecture Recording with Captioning. To create a lecture with quizzes, please see Camtasia Lecture Recording with Quizzes.
Along with Camtasia, faculty and staff may also request Snagit, an image capture tool that enables easy image capture, including Web pages or parts of a Web page, which can then be shared or incorporated into presentations.