The Office of Institutional Research and Assessment (OIRA) produces “Data Snapshots” to provide the Purdue University Calumet community with a brief report on a variety of topics. For additional data resources, please explore other sections of our Web site.
BIRTH OF A CAMPUS
In 1869 the Indiana Legislature chartered Purdue university in West Lafayette n honor of John Purdue, a local businessman and civic booster who provided funds and a campus site. Classes began at the West Lafayette campus five years later, in 1874.
Between 1920 and 1940 Purdue taught occasional technical and engineering extension courses in Hammond, Indiana. The National Defense Training Program was established in 1940 to upgrade the skills of defense plant workers, and in 1941 5,000 students in Lake County enrolled. In 1943, Purdue began offering 34 academic credit classes in engineering and mathematics at the Hammond location.
As the war came to an end, the defense training centers across the State closed. In 1946 Purdue was inundated with applications for its academic programs in Hammond and decided to continue operations on a permanent basis. Construction of Purdue Calumet’s first campus building began in 1949, and by 1953 campus enrolled reached 2,000 students. today Purdue Calumet serves over 10,000 students and has over 40,000 graduates.
|1869||The Indiana legislature charters Purdue University, locates school in West Lafayette, and names it in honor of John Purdue.|
|1874||Classes begin at the West Lafayette campus.|
|1940||The national Defense Training Program (NDTP) is established to upgrade the skills of “defense plant” workers.|
|1941||The NDTP is renamed the Engineering, Science, and Management Defense Training Program (ESMDT). Almost 5,000 students are enrolled in ESMDT classes in the Calumet region.|
|1942||Dean of Engineering Andrey A. Potter conducts a survey of the technology education needs of the Calumet region.|
|1943||Purdue offers 34 academic credit classes in engineering and mathematics in the Calumet region. Dean Andrey Potter establishes the Division of Technical Institutes as part of the Engineering Extension. The Technical Institute begins its certificate programs in the Calumet region with 9 part-time instructors and 56 students.|
|1944||The Serviceman’s Readjustment Act passes Congress and is signed into law; it is the parent of the “GI Bill of Rights” that will revolutionize American high education.|
|1945||Instructors are paid at the official War Production Board rate of $4.00 per hour.|
|1946||On February 25th, Purdue decides to continue extension operations in the Calumet region on a permanent basis; thus becoming the official “birth date” of the Purdue university Calumet regional campus.|
Source: Trusty, L (1996), Purdue university Calumet: the first fifty years. Hammond, IN: Purdue University Calumet.
Office of University Relations (1997-present)
- 1953 – The first “officially sponsored” Purdue calumet basketball team is organized by Robert Hayes.
- 1966 – Peter Piper replaces Purdue Pete as the official mascot. The teams are known as the Pipers.
- 1969 – Purdue Calumet varsity teams join the NCAA and the NAIA.
- 1974 – The Women’s Intercollegiate Athletic Club introduces varsity women’s sports at Purdue Calumet.
- 1980 – Newly appointed Athletic Director John Friend transforms campus athletic programs. Basketball returns to varsity status under Coach Larry Liddle, after seven years as a club.
- 1981 – Students vote to change the team name from the Pipers to the Purdue Calumet Lakers.
- 2004 – The Peregrine becomes the official athletic nickname and mascot of Purdue Calumet.
- 2010 – Purdue Calumet introduces teams in women’s volleyball, men’s golf and men’s and women’s tennis.
- 2011 – Purdue Calumet and the City of Hammond announce plans to develop jointly a sports complex that will provide facilities initially for university men’s and women’s tennis squads, and ultimately men’s and women’s soccer, men’s baseball and women’s softball teams.
- 1943 – Purdue offers 34 academic credit classes in engineering and mathematics in the Calumet region.
- 1948 – Purdue launches its first contract education program, with Inland Steel.
- 1958 – The campus becomes a University Center. Calumet faculty become part of university-wide departments.
- 1964 – Associate degree programs in Computer Technology and registered nursing being.
- 1969 – Engineering begins a four-year degree program with 200 students enrolled.
- 1970 – Associate and bachelor’s degree programs in nursing begins.
- 1974 – The School of Basic and Applied Science and the School of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences are formed.
- 1976 – A Women’s Studies Program begin.
- 1988 – The Manufacturing Technology Service Center opens.
- 1993 – Army ROTC is added to the curriculum.
- 1998 – An accelerated cohort MBA for Executives program, featuring Saturday-only class sessions is introduced.
- 2003 – Two new degree programs are introduced. Bachelor of Arts in Business and a 2+2 associate and baccalaureate offering in computer graphics technology.
- 2005 – The Purdue Calumet Water institute is established.
– The School of Nursing launches the Northwest Indiana Center for Evidence-based Nursing Practice.
- 2008 – New academic programs focus on mechatronics engineering technology, computer information systems, equine management and a master’s degree offering in technology.
– In partnership with the City of Hammond, Purdue Calumet becomes the first manager and operator of the Hammond Innovation Center, a small business incubator.
- 2009 – The Center of Innovation through Visualization and Simulation, a research center that combines advanced simulation and 3-D visualization technologies opens on campus.
- 2010 – An accelerated online RN to BS baccalaureate degree completion program for registered nurses and Northwest Indiana’s only master’s degree program in computer science highlight new academic offerings.
- 1951 – Around 1,700 students are enrolled in academic, technical, and contract programs, including a growing number of Korean War veterans.
- 1969 – The Progressive (Black) Student Union if form.
– The College Republicans organize, with 4 members.
- 1970 – The School of General Studies admits high-risk students.
- 1972 – Women’s Awareness Day, May 24, signals the arrival of the women’s movement on campus.
- 1984 – The Goethe Institute of Chicago awards travel study scholarships to Purdue Calumet students. They become the first American students to study in East Germany.
- 1988 – 500 African-American students are enrolled.
- 1990 – Minority enrollment reflects community residential patterns; one student in five is either an African-American or a Hispanic.
- 2002 – Hispanic enrollment reaches nearly 1,200 – the highest of any post-secondary institution in Indiana.
- 2005 – A trip to China by a university contingent produces several agreements that will cultivate growing international student enrollment.
- 2009 – Fall enrollment increases to a record-setting 10,133, including more than 500 international students.
|1946||World War II veteran Sigrid Stark becomes Purdue Calumet’s first full-time academic professor.|
|1947||The Hammond Chamber of Commerce forms a committee to develop a site for a Purdue campus in Woodmar, with NIPSCO Vice-president E.D. “Del” Anderson as chairman.|
|1947||Millard E. Gyte becomes District Representative of the Technical Extension’s Northwestern Indiana operations.|
|1948||In March, the Hammond Chamber of Commerce Purdue Advisory Committee offers President Hovde a forty acre campus between 169th and 173rd streets in Woodmar. The committee will raise funds locally to pay for the site.|
|1951||Purdue Calumet’s first campus structure, the 26,000 square foot Center Building, opens during the summer. This building will later be named in honor of Millard Gyte.|
|1951||The campus name is changed to Purdue University Calumet Center.|
|1958||West Lafayette’s Divisions of Adult Education and Technical Extension are merged into a new organization, the University Extension Administration (UEA). Professor Charles H. Lawshe is named the first director.|
|1959||Carl H. Elliott, a former faculty member at Purdue Calumet, becomes campus director.|
|1962||A new name is given: Purdue University Calumet Campus (PUCC).|
|1963||Purdue Calumet becomes a Regional Campus of Purdue University.|
|1965||Baccalaureate programs are authorized by the Trustees.|
|1969||Purdue Calumet is granted full undergraduate accreditation form the North Central Association of Colleges and Universities.|
|1971||The Student-Faculty Library Center opens.|
|1973||The 54,000 square foot classroom building opens, and will be named in honor of Charles H. Lawshe in 1981.|
|1974||Undergraduate academic autonomy is conferred on Purdue Calumet leading to a complete academic reorganization.|
|1974||Carl elliott becomes Calumet’s first chancellor.|
|1975||Richard j. Combs becomes the second chancellor of Purdue Calumet.|
|1989||The $4.5 million Donald S. Powers Computer Education Center opens, providing the campus with 200 campus has access to a computer or a terminal.|
|1990||James Yackel becomes Purdue Calumet’s third Chancellor.|
|1996||Purdue University Calumet celebrates its 50th anniversary.|
|1998||In response to a need for more classroom space, construction of a $17.2 million Classroom Office Building is completed and opens for occupancy in the fall. it represents the 13th campus structure.|
|1999||The newly-constructed Challenger Learning Center of Northwest Indiana opens on campus.|
|2001||Chancellor Howard Cohen becomes the fifth campus leader of Purdue Calumet.|
|2004||Construction begins on the first campus residential facility: a 376-student, $16.5 million apartment-style complex later to be named University Village Phase I.|
|2005||The newly constructed, $9.1 million Academic Learning Center opens in Crown Point, IN.|
|2005||To relieve long-time , campus parking congestion, an 860-space, $11.5 million parking garage is built.|
|2008||Purdue Calumet adopts a formally structured program of experiential learning as a graduation requirement for all incoming, baccalaureate degree-seeking students, after receiving a $1.7 million U.S. Dept. of Education Title III to develop the program.|
|2011||Thomas L. Keon, the sixth leader of Purdue Calumet, succeeds Howard Cohen as chancellor.|
|Cost of a Physics textbook||1959 – $1.59||2012 – $287.50|
|Cost of Full-time tuition and books||1964 – $650 per year||2012 – $8,535 per year|
|Number of students on campus||1970 – 5,245||2012 – 10,054|