Online Academic Partnerships – Nursing RN to BS Program Information
How to Apply for Financial Aid
- Apply for a Federal Student Aid PIN (if you do not already have one). Your Federal Student Aid PIN will act as an electronic signature for the FAFSA application and enables you to complete promissory notes and other financial aid transactions with the U.S. Department of Education (ED). Note: If you are considered dependent for financial aid purposes your parent(s) must also apply for a Federal Student Aid PIN.
- Complete the FAFSA as early as possible each year after January 1. The priority filing deadline for students attending Purdue University Calumet is March 10 prior to the academic year for which you are seeking financial assistance (i.e. March 10, 2014 for 2014-2015).
- Use completed federal tax information.
- List Purdue University Calumet to receive your FAFSA information. Our school code is 001827.
- Monitor your PUC STUDENT e-mail account (Gmail) for correspondence from the Office of Financial Aid and Student Accounts: http://webs.purduecal.edu/current/
- Monitor PCSTAR for messages and information from the Office of Financial Aid and Student Accounts: http://www.purduecal.edu/pcstar
- Register for class. Financial aid cannot be processed until you have registered.
Types of Financial Aid
· Federal Pell Grant: The federal government offers Pell Grants to needy undergraduate students, which is the foundation of a student’s financial aid package. Eligible students must be enrolled in a minimum of 1 credit hour.
· Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan: This federal loan is available to students with financial need based on the results of the FAFSA. Recipients must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours per semester). Recipients are not charged interest while in school at least half-time nor during grace and deferment periods. If this is your first Federal Direct Loan, you may electronically complete your Master Promissory Note (eMPN) and your loan entrance counseling at https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action.
· Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan: Students are not required to demonstrate financial need to receive this loan. Interest accrues (accumulates) from the time it is first paid out. Recipients must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours per semester). If this is your first Federal Direct Loan, you may electronically complete your Master Promissory Note (eMPN) and your loan entrance counseling at https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action.
How Enrollment is Determined for Financial Aid
Your enrollment for financial aid purposes is based on the total number of credit hours for which you are registered in all five-week sessions during the semester/term.
Non-nursing Coursework at PUC
Students who wish to receive financial aid for non-nursing, online coursework through PUC must stop out of the nursing carousel for the semester and be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours.
Federal Pell Grant awards will be based on your enrollment as of the first day of each five week class in the semester/term and will be adjusted for subsequent increases or decreases in enrollment on the first day of each subsequent five week class.
Stafford Loans will be adjusted for changes in enrollment. If you fall below 6 credit hours your eligibility may change. If refunds have been issued, you may have to return funds to the university. Contact Michelle Short in the Office of Financial Aid if you are considering withdrawing from any classes to discuss how doing so might affect your financial aid eligibility.