The ADA: 25 Years and Counting!
Northwest Indiana’s Celebration of the Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act August 24th through September 27th at the Indiana Welcome Center, Kennedy Avenue at I-80/94, Hammond.
Sponsored by: Everybody Counts and the Great Lakes ADA Center, with the South Shore Convention and Visitor Authority
Celebrating the passage of the landmark Civil Rights Legislation:
- The Freedom Bus of the National ADA Legacy Tour: ADA artifacts and presentations on disability rights movement
- “Access is a Civil Right”: gallery of renowned disability rights photo- journalist Tom Olin’s most iconic works (on loan from Calvin College)
- Great Lakes ADA Center: (funded by the Department of Justice) activities, information and presentations by Executive Director Robin Jones
- Entertainment: wheelchair basketball, self-defense & assistive animal training demonstrations, music, dancing, ASL magician, games and more.
- Photo Contest co-sponsored by the Times, highlighting how the ADA is and isn’t working in Northwest Indiana’s communities.
- Public Transit Day: live board game, panel discussion and special displays about local public transportation issues
- Other Interesting Displays: local history, technology, accessible vans and buses, interactive displays, products, information
For dates and times of special events check the schedule of events posted at South Shore CVA or call 219/769-5055