College of Nursing
Dolores M. Huffman, PhD, RN
Associate Professor of Nursing
|2002||Ph.D.||Loyola University, Chicago, IL|
|1982||M.S.||Saint Xavier University, Chicago, IL|
|1976||M.A.L.S.||Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN|
|1971||B.S.||Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN|
- American Nurses Association
- National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialist
- International Consortium of Parse Scholars, Chicago Chapter
- Sigma Theta Tau, Mu Omega Chapter
- Indiana Center for Evidence Based Nursing Practice, Purdue University Calumet
Licensure and Board Certification
- Registered Nurse – State of IN
- Registered Nurse – State of IL
- Joanna Briggs Institute certification as a Systematic Review Trainer
- 1992: Sigma Theta Tau, Mu Omega Chapter, Purdue University Calumet, Hammond, IN
- 1978: Valparaiso University Alumni Fellowship Recipient
Currently working with colleagues on a systematic review related to lateral violence in nursing.
Systematic reviews (meta-aggregate) on moral distress and family presence. Previous scholarship reflects Grounded Theory Research on being an obese and uninsured woman in our society and a Parse research study on Unburdening in persons living with spinal cord injury.
Teaching Interests/Courses Taught
- Nursing Research – Nur 51000
- Health Promotion – Nur 51100
- Nursing Research – NUR 39000
- Health Promotion – NUR 39400
- Nursing Care of the Aged, Disabled and Chronically Ill – NUR 39700
Huffman, D., & Rittenmeyer, L. (2012). How professional nurses working in hospital environments experience moral distress: A systematic review. Nursing Clinics of North America, 24 (1), 91-100.
Huffman, D. (2012). Chapter 22 Community health nursing. In Hopp, L.J., & Rittenmeyer, L. Introduction to evidence based practice: A practical guide for nursing. Philadelphia, PA: FA Davis Co.
Buchholz, S. W., Huffman, D. & McKenna, J. (2012). The overwhelming condition of being a low income, obese, uninsured woman in a wealthy society: Restorative health behaviors. Health Care for Women International, 33 (2) 182-97.
Rittenmeyer, L.,*& Huffman, D.* (2009). How professional nurses working in hospital environments experience moral distress: A systematic review. JBI library of systematic reviews. www.jbi.edu/au
Huffman, D.M., Fontaine, K. L., & Price, B.K. (2003). Health Problems in the Classroom: PreK-6: An A-Z Reference Guide for Educators. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, Inc.
Huffman, D.M., Fontaine, K. L., & Price, B.K. (2003). Health Problems in the Classroom: 6-12: An A-Z Reference Guide for Educators. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, Inc.
Selected Awards and Honors
2006-2007 Outstanding Faculty Service Award, Purdue University Calumet, Hammond, IN