Improving job/career marketability is focus
of Purdue Calumet program 6/25
Purdue University Calumet is hosting a program to help region residents become more job- and career-marketable.
Working Smarter to be Job Marketable
The 26th annual Working Smarter to be Job Marketable program, co-sponsored by The Times and Post-Tribune newspapers, is scheduled at 6:15 p.m., Tuesday (6/25) in Alumni Hall of Purdue Calumet’s Student Union & Library.
Individuals searching for a job, others concerned about their pending employment status, those considering a career change, others planning to return to the work force after an extended absence, as well as individuals who are exploring the prospect of starting or taking over a business can gain valuable insights, perspectives, tips and hints during fast-paced, mini-sessions presented by Purdue Calumet faculty and staff.
Purdue Calumet’s program
The Purdue Calumet program will feature the following presentations:
- Proven Job Search Techniques for Today’s Successful Job Seeker – How are your networking skills? Do you use social media? Find out more about what today’s successful job search should entail.
- Transferable Skills…They’re Important & You Have Them! – Employers want to know what to expect from a job seeker in certain circumstances. Absent of having ‘been there, done that,’ your transferable skills can run interference for you. Explore those skills.
- Resumes, Cover Letters & Thank Yous – You say you need help creating that knock-your-socks-off resume? OK, we can help. Yet, a good cover letter may be even more valuable. And what about that post-interview “thank you” note? Learn how to use all three to your advantage.
- Find Your Passion, Find Your Career! – Whether realizing the dream of starting a business or otherwise finding your dream job or career, fueling passion while eliminating fears is critical. Determine how to turn what you love to do into your life’s work.
- Learning to Work Smarter – Learn more about learning programs, opportunities and resources at Purdue Calumet.
- Panel Discussion Q&A – the opportunity to direct questions to the presenters about the world of work, job pursuit and how to become more marketable.
“Individuals who want to gain insider perspectives about how to move forward in a fast-changing work world will benefit from this program,” Purdue Calumet Assistant Vice Chancellor for Advancement/University Relations and program coordinator Wes Lukoshus said. “Though not a job fair, our program will offer insightful information to help enable attendees to enrich, jump start or redirect their professional lives.”
Free admission deadline
To qualify for free admission, individuals must register in advance by Monday, June 24. Otherwise, at-the-door admission is $20. Individuals may register on line at the Purdue Calumet Working Smarter to be Job Marketable web site. Prospective attendees also may register by phoning Purdue Calumet’s Office of University Relations at 219/989-2217 or toll free at 800/HI-PURDUE, ext. 2217.
Additional programs available
Other Northwest Indiana colleges and universities also are hosting Working Smarter… programs June 24-28 per the following schedule: 6 p.m., Monday, June 24—at Calumet College of St. Joseph; 5:45 p.m., Wednesday, June 26—at Indiana University Northwest co-hosted with Ivy Tech Community College Northwest; 4 p.m., Thursday, June 27—at Valparaiso University co-hosted with Indiana Wesleyan University; and 6 p.m., Friday, June 28—at Trine University in Schererville.