The Mechanical Engineering Department houses Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering programs.
Civil Engineers focus on the design, improvement, construction, and maintenance of the environments in which people live. Structures and systems such as buildings, roads, water supply distribution systems, storm sewer systems, railways and airports, and anything else related to our living environment is the purview of civil engineers. They are responsible for the design and construction of huge dams to facilitate hydropower, or the development of irrigation facilities. Civil engineers are active in preserving ecological systems through environment management. They are also active in research, investigating and implementing safety designs to protect against natural disasters such as flooding, earth quakes, and tsunami. Look around! The work of civil engineers is everywhere.
Mechanical engineers are dreamers and doers. It is through their talented design and development skills that machines, from the most simple concept to extremely complex and integrated operations, come to be. Mechanical engineers investigate how materials make designs stronger, and study how external stresses, including heat and pressure, affect the machines that we use. The field of mechatronics, in which computer systems are merged with mechanical systems has recently evolved to meet the changing needs of the workplace.
Opportunities abound for the mechanical engineer. The demand for mechanical engineers is higher than ever before. Our students are finding jobs in such fields as Computational Fluid Dynamics, Manufacturing Design and Development, Biomedical Materials Development, Military Equipment, and Structural Metals Manufacturing.
What Makes Purdue Calumet’s Engineering Program Attractive
10 reasons that attract students to Purdue Calumet’s engineering programs
- Ranked among the top 50 of the Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs at Non-Doctoral Schools by US News & World Report for the fourth consecutive year
- Opportunity to earn an internationally respected Purdue Engineering degree
- Personal attention, small class sizes and easy access to professors
- Active engineering student organizations and national competitions
- Distinguished engineering faculty
- Rich experiential learning, research, internships, and job opportunities
- Easy access to state-of-the-art laboratories
- Excellent value and superior location: 25 miles from Chicago and surrounded by industrial companies
- Opportunity to earn baccalaureate and master’s engineering degrees within five years
- Excellent job placement with high starting salary for graduates