Company and Industry Research
Research your targeted companies, their products, brands and competitors as well as the industry before moving forward in the process. The successful use of strategic information can set you apart from others so take the time to do your homework. And take the time to use more than just the company webpage for your information!
The Vault Online Library is available by logging on to CareerTrax. Also, the database Business Source Premier, available through the PUC Library, provides access to over 10,000 pre-packaged company profiles and over 25,000 pre-packaged industry profiles. Many of the company profiles even contain current SWOT analysis! In addition to the pre-packaged reports, Business Source Premier provides access to thousands of full-text trade publications, magazines and journals with articles about the company or industry.
In addition to magazine and journal articles, search newspapers for up-to-date coverage of a company or industry. The database LexisNexis Academic, available through the PUC Library, provides access to over 5,000 news sources from around the world. In addition to news, LexisNexis has a feature within the Business section titled Company Dossier that pulls together news, downloadable company financials, stock charts, a list of executives, list of board members, parent/subsidiary information, etc.
Search the Internet for information published by related trade organizations, news blurbs, blog entries and information related to the people you will be meeting as well as the company and industry. Keep in mind that time spent on the Internet should be targeted – don’t let the amount of untimely and inaccurate information available derail you from locating the proper information you need.
The PUC Library and the Office of Career Services can provide access to some useful books that will help you brush up on interviewing:
- Ace Your Interview by WetFeet – Career Services Library – Student Union Library Building – Room 349
- Case in Point : Complete Case Interview Preparation - Library Stacks – Call Number: HD69.C6 C68 2004
- How to Interview Like a Top MBA – Library Stacks – Call Number: HF5549.5 I6 L42 2004
- Mastering the Case Interview : The Complete Guide to Management, Marketing, and Strategic Consulting Case Interviews – Library Stacks – Call Number: HD69.C6 C478 2007
- Vault Guide to the Top Employers – Available full-text online through the Career Services CareerTrax Vault.com Online Career Library. Log on at www.pucjobs.com today!
- 501+ Great Interview Questions for Employers and the Best Answers for Prospective Employees - Library Stacks – Call Number: HF5549.5 I6 P63 2005
College Grad Job Hunter Interview Success
Guidelines for Informational Interviews
Sample Interview Questions
The Telephone Interview
What Employers Want