Every business, every organization, and every team is fundamentally a collection of people who are working together towards one or more common goals or, as one scholar put it, “The people make the place.” Thus, a foundational understanding of people and human relationships in a workplace context is vital to the short-term and long-term viability of any enterprise. This class is designed to combine theory and practice in order to bring about a better understanding how individuals, teams, and organizations function. Particular emphasis is placed on the role of leaders in organizations.
- Understand the vital roles of employee satisfaction, commitment, and performance
- Learn the role that individual personality plays in job performance
- Develop effective decision-making frameworks
- Understand how to harness emotions and change attitudes
- Learn effective team-building techniques and proven methods of motivating others
- Consider different approaches to leadership which are based on scientific theories
- Learn to manage organizational change