A major focus of this course involves strategic and planning elements as related to the operations of the enterprise. Modern quality-based and time-based approaches will be examined, and there are many aspects of planning and design to be considered.
Specifically, we will examine:
- Product or service design – examining the design process, standardization, and the quality function.
- Process design and capacity – focusing on process selection and capacity planning.
- Facility layout and location – basic types of layouts and location decisions.
- Quality management systems – examining contemporary approaches to quality management.
- Production planning and inventory control – examining approaches to meeting uneven demand and systems for reordering and controlling inventories.
- Project planning – aspects of planning and scheduling projects.
Additionally, this course involves the application of analytical methods and techniques with a goal of developing superior decision-making skills. To this end, we will examine:
- Forecasting techniques – examining the selection of forecasting techniques and the evaluation of alternative forecasting approaches.
- Linear programming – evaluating the appropriateness of linear programming applications in a variety of situations as well as interpreting the outcomes from a linear programming model.
- PERT- CPM- these computational techniques will be examined in the process of understanding project management.