Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 - 11:14 am

Purdue Calumet students participate in National Sales Competition

For the first time, Purdue University Calumet had the opportunity to be among the 60-plus schools hosted by the National Collegiate Sales Competition (NCSC) at Kennesaw State University (KSU) in Georgia.  The event, covered by FOX Media, was inaugurated in 1999 by Professor Terry Loe, director of the Center for Professional Selling at Kennesaw State.  It is currently the largest and oldest professional sales role-play competition in the nation, sponsored by over 30 Corporations including FedEx, Groupon, Xerox, State Farm, and Liberty Mutual. 

This national competition builds on the experience students have in Dr. Claudia C. Mich’s MGMT 433 – Personal Selling class.  Since the fall of 2009, Dr. Mich’s “Personal Selling” class has participated in a role-play competition with the goal of preparing students to perform in real sales situations.  Each semester teams compete against each other through a series of role-plays (rounds), rotating roles as seller, buyer, and evaluator.  Students role-play selling real products such as FedEx, AT&T, UPS, and NetSuite.  This requires intense research and preparation on the part of the students.  While challenging, students find this competition very useful in building their sales skills.  “I felt that the sales competition was a very helpful project.  It gave us a realistic idea of what it is like to perform a sales call.  I felt that the instructor prepared us well and gave us plenty of information.  I truly enjoyed it,” says former student Angela Adler.

This year, two Purdue Calumet students, Julie Blanford and Kathleen Williams, were among the 180 top sales students in North America competing in Kennesaw from March 4 through March 7, 2011.  Here is what they had to say:

“It was an interesting experience that allowed me to further hone my sales skills and make some great new contacts within some of the best companies today.”  ~ Julie Blanford.

“Overall, my experience at the National Sales Competition was a positive one.  I am thankful I had the opportunity to compete with some of the best business students across the country and feel I learned a great deal about myself in doing so.  The opportunity to meet students, instructors, and corporate representatives was a great opportunity to both network and expose them to Purdue University Calumet.  I think Dr. Mich, Julie, and I represented our university well and placed our regional campus on the map by introducing the NCSC to our campus. 

This was an opportunity of a lifetime, in my eyes, because of the exposure and experience I received.  This competition gives students the ability to learn about the expectations and benefits of corporations today as one enters the sales arena.  Recruiters were both pleasant and honest in communicating their company’s needs and desires with respect to prospective sales representatives. 

I would like to thank Dr. Mich for having the confidence in both Julie and myself to take us to this competition.  Dr. Mich dedicated her own personal time to assisting the two of us in preparing for our role-plays and traveling down to Kennesaw, GA to participate in the judging of this competition and provide a supporting role for the two of us competing.  Dr. Mich’s expertise, passion, and positive attitude are an inspiration to her students.   

My recommendation to students enrolling in Dr. Mich’s ‘Personal Selling’ class is to take their in-class role play competition seriously, it depicts a very accurate display of what corporations are looking for in sales’ prospects and would provide a strong foundation for any student looking to compete in the NCSC.”  ~ Kathy Williams

For more information:

Find us on Facebook
School of Management
Anderson Building, Third Floor
2200 169th Street
Hammond, IN 46323-2094

Phone:
219/989-2595
1-800 HI-PURDUE, x.2595
Locally within Indiana & Illinois

E-mail:
som@purduecal.edu

Hours:

Spring 2013 hours
Monday - Thursday; 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Friday; 7:30 – 4:30 p.m.

News Archives