The object of the game is to eliminate all opposing players.
This can be done by:
- Hitting an opposing player with a thrown ball below the shoulders. A ball that bounces then hits a player doesn’t count; it must be a direct hit.
- Catching a ball thrown by your opponent before it hits the ground. If a ball hits off a player and their teammate catches it before it hits the ground the person who has thrown the ball will go to prison.
- The game will begin with three balls lined up on the centerline. (More balls will be used based on the number of participants on a side.)
- Each team lines-up on their own prison line.
- When the official blows the whistle and contest begins, teams may approach the centerline to retrieve the balls.
- Rules will be enforced based on the honor system: Players will be expected to rule whether or not a hit was legal or whether they should go to prison.
- When a player is eliminated they will go to the prison located behind their opponents.
- The person(s) in the prison are eligible to receive any ball thrown to them by their teammates or any ball that comes into the prison area. The player then can throw the ball at their opponent in attempt to send them to prison.
- A player may block a ball thrown at them with another ball as long as the ball thrown at them doesn’t make any contact on their body.
- Players must remain within their boundary lines. Players can only retrieve balls from the prison area behind them if no one is in the prison.