Tax FAQs

Who should file?

All International students.   If you were present in the United States during any part of 2014 on a visa other than B1/B2 (visitor visas), there is at least one tax form you must complete.  If you were not in the United States at all during 2014 you do not need to complete any tax forms at this time.

Is there any time an International Student does not have to file taxes?

No.  If the student has received income then a federal and state return must be completed.   In addition, the Form 8843  must be completed by all international students present in the United States during 2014, even if no income was received. Click here for Form 8843 pdf.

When should I file?

Federal  tax forms are due to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by April 15, 2015.  Indiana state tax forms are due to the Department of Revenue by April 15, 2015.  Form 8843 is due to the Department of the Treasury by April 15, 2015.

What documentation do I need to complete my taxes as an International Student?

  • IRS form W-2 issued to those who had U.S.-based employment (including OPT/CPT employment); should have been mailed to you by January 31, 2015
  • User ID for Glacier and a Password.  Once you log into Glacier, it will give you access to Cintax, a tax form preparation system.
  • Your passport
  • Your visa document (Form I-20, DS-2019)
  • SSN or ITIN (see section below on SSNs and ITINs) if you have one

What is a W-2?

This is a tax reporting document.  The W-2 is a form that is used for filing income taxes and shows all wages and salary earned during the tax year.  The form also shows all federal and state taxes that were taken out of your paycheck before you received it.

Where do I get my W-2?

Usually it is received via mail that was sent from your place of employment.  Most employers will send them out so that you can receive them before January 31, 2015 (this includes people employed by Purdue University Calumet).

What if I do not receive my W-2 by January 31, 2015?

For Purdue University Calumet  employees, please contact the Payroll department:

Human Resources Department/Payroll

Schneider Ave Building, Room 1005

2450 169th Street (On the corner of Schneider Ave and 169th)

(219) 989-2251

If you are employed outside of the University, contact your company’s Payroll Department.

What is GLACIER?

GLACIER is a tax compliance system that enables institutions and individuals to maintain the strict regulations regarding the taxation and reports of payments made to non-United States Citizens.

How do I get a GLACIER ID and Password?

If you don’t already have your GLACIER Id number and password, contact Human Resources at (219) 989-2251.

What is CINTAX and what does it do?

It is a free and complete tax preparation software that is a web-based program designed specifically to assist international students and other non-residents for tax purposes with filing the federal income tax return

  • Calculates the substantial presence test to determine the foreign national’s U.S. residency status;
  • Verifies each type of payment for any applicable income tax treaty exemptions;
  • Checks if the individual is eligible for “away-from-home” expenses (if he or she has been in the U.S. for less than 12 months);
  • Completes the correct U.S. income tax form – either Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ;
  • Prepares any additional statements or attachments, as applicable – Form 2106, Form 8843, Schedule C, and/or Scholarship/Fellowship Grant Statement;
  • Prints the tax return and all attachments (please note, the IRS does not allow nonresident aliens to file a tax return electronically); and
  • Provides detailed instructions about how, when, and where to submit the tax return, as well as information about the documents necessary to attach and complete the tax return filing process.

Do I need a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)?

Yes, any individual who works in the U.S. as an employee should have an SSN.  It is mandatory to have one or the other.  Individuals who complete tax returns in CINTAX and do not have an SSN or ITIN will be prompted to complete Form W-7 to apply for an ITIN in connection with the filing of the tax return.  Note:  you do not need a SSN or ITIN to file Form 8843.

I need more information, where can I go?

CLO 176, Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.