MAINTAINING YOUR STATUS
Below is a list of tips you need to observe in order to maintain legal status, while you complete your studies in the United States. For a detailed explanation, download the ISS Student Handbook (PDF).
1. You must keep a valid passport at all times.
2. You must attend the school listed on your current I-20.
3. You must register and complete a full course of study every fall and spring term.
MINIMUM REQUIRED COURSE ENROLLMENT:
• 18 clock hours for ELP students
• 12 credit hours for undergraduate students
• 8 credit hours for graduate/professional students
• 6 credit hours for graduate/professional students with assistantship or fellowship appointments
No more than one online or distance education class per semester. If the F-1 student’s course of study is a language study program (ESL) or elementary or secondary school program, no online or distance education classes may be considered to count toward class room hours or credit.