Earn Spanish credit and complete ExL requirements, all while experiencing the culture, history, and language that Spain has to offer! Study Abroad in Cáceres is a 4-week language intensive program which enables students to complete 6 credit hours in Spanish (either upper or lower level courses).
- Program Director: Professor Gloria Vélez-Rendón, email@example.com
- Information Sessions:
- September 24, 3:30pm-4:30pm, CLO 110
- Education Abroad Fair: October 2, 11am-2pm, SUL Concourse
- November 4, 12:30pm-1:30pm, CLO 110
- December 1, 2pm-3pm, CLO 110
- Download the program brochure: Spain Brochure 2015 (PDF)
- Click here to schedule an education abroad advising appointment with the International Affairs Office.
Founded by the Romans in 34 BC, and declared a World Heritage City by UNESCO, Cáceres boasts one of the best locations in Spain for immersion into the Spanish language, culture, and history. The city is located in the Spanish region of Extremadura, approximately 4 hours from Madrid.
While on the program, students participate in several guided tours and excursions as a part of the courses. Students live with host families in the Cáceres community while attending classes at Universidad de Extremadura.
Students may choose to spend some of their free time exploring the surrounding areas and regions. Buses and trains make travel to, from, and around the city very accessible.
Students take 6 credits in Spanish and all courses are designated as Experiential Learning courses, allowing students to fulfill university ExL requirements. In order to ensure that they take the appropriate courses, students should meet with their academic advisor and the Program Director (Professor Gloria Vélez-Rendón). Students do not register for these courses on their own; instead, IAO works with the Office of the Registrar to register students after the study abroad application is complete.
Students must take two classes within the same level of Spanish. The course offerings are listed below.
- SPAN 20100
- SPAN 20200
- Pre-Requisite: SPAN 10200
- SPAN 45100
- SPAN 48100
- Pre-Requisite: SPAN 20200
Program participants are responsible for paying the program cost by the schedule shown below. Many students can use some of the same Financial Aid that they get during the normal Academic Year. IAO strongly recommends that students talk to the Office of Financial Aid & Student Accounts to find out more about their individual budgets.
Program Cost: $3500
- Tuition and fees for 6 credits
- Housing and meals with host family
- Excursions as part of the courses, including an overnight trip to Seville
- International health insurance
Additional costs students should budget for include:
- Roundtrip airfare
- Local transportation
- Passport costs
- Personal spending money (shopping, meals not with host family, personal trips/excursions, etc.)
- Unexpected incidents
- $300 deposit – December 8, 2015, or with application
- Students are expected to pay a $300 deposit to the program at time of application. Without this deposit, you will not be admitted to the program. Once you are admitted, that payment goes towards the total program cost.
- $1400 – February 2, 2015
- $1800 – March 20, 2015
**Students may make payments in smaller increments or at earlier dates as long as the amounts and deadlines above are being met.
For an estimated analysis of anticipated costs and information on withdrawal policies, please refer to the program’s Financial Worksheet. (Financial Worksheet – Caceres 2015 (PDF))
For more information on payments and information on the withdraw/refund policy, download the program’s Payment Agreement. (Payment Agreement and Refund Policy – Caceres 2015 (PDF))
Financial Aid & Scholarships
If you receive scholarships, grants, or loans as a Purdue University Calumet student, please contact the Office of Financial Aid & Student Accounts in the Enrollment Services Center, Lawshe 130 to see how much of your current aid package you’ll be able to utilize towards this education abroad program. Participants on this program may be eligible to apply for these national and institutional scholarships (not an exhaustive list):
- Gilman International Scholarship
- IAO Education Abroad Scholarship
For more details concerning these and other scholarships, please see our Financial Aid & Scholarships page (webs.purduecal.edu/intl/ea/financial-aid-scholarships/).