Purdue Calumet Insight Online Fall 2012

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 - 1:11 pm

Anticipating & preparing for what has yet to emerge

Chancellor Thomas Keon

Dear Friends,

During my recently-completed first year as chancellor, I spent a lot of time observing, learning, discovering, asking questions—many of the “Why?” and “Why not?” variety—and formulating strategic objectives within the context of determining the best course for our university.

Unquestionably, one of the most valuable lessons I learned the past year is the great potential Purdue Calumet offers to move forward in significant ways.

When I arrived last year, I talked about a Purdue Calumet positioned to become Northwest Indiana’s hometown university.

Students, faculty & technology centers

Impressively, I watched many of our students perform and achieve success on various academic stages, frequently in competition against peers from colleges and universities across the nation and world. Our students did more than hold their own—they excelled! You can read about several of them and their achievements in this issue.

Admiringly, I also noted how our faculty and academic leaders partner with students and employers alike in ways that further applied and engaged learning, create opportunities, advance our region and bring distinction to our campus. One of those faculty members and academic leaders, Professor of Communication Yahya Kamalipour, is featured in this issue.

It also did not take me long to grow impressed with cutting edge, campus technology centers that are designed and equipped to respond positively to 21st century challenges—our Center for Innovation through Visualization and Simulation, for one. Such a center prompted thoughts of a new degree program that would prepare graduates for emerging challenges within jobs and careers yet to be identified.

New master’s degree program

We envision that our new Master of Science in Modeling, Simulation and Visualization, to be introduced next spring, will be such a degree program. It will expose our students to sophisticated technological concepts and develop related problem-solving skills designed to enable virtual analysis of workplace challenges.

With prospective commercialization and manufacturing centers waiting in the wings, Purdue Calumet—its students, faculty, staff and resources—is poised to play a vital role advancing our region.

As I see it, that is precisely what hometown universities do.

Sincerely,

Thomas Keon signature

Thomas Keon

Chancellor