Why would I want to use a VPN service?
By creating a VPN, the home user can “put” his home machine on the Purdue Calumet network. This enables your home machine to have access to many of the same resources as your work or lab machine on campus.
Examples of the benefits of VPN:
- Ability to configure your home email client to send mail from a Purdue host.
- Access to Purdue web sites that restrict information to Purdue hosts only.
- Access to Purdue services such as central license servers for software licensing.
- Access to Departmental R: drive or personal H: drive from home.
The Purdue Calumet VPN Solution
Purdue Calumet now provides VPN services to faculty and staff through the Purdue Calumet Secure VPN Portal.
Connection requirements include:
- An up-to-date Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 (excluding RT) system using Internet Explorer with up-to-date anti-virus software installed such as McAfee, or Norton Anti-Virus.
- An up-to-date Mac OS system using Firefox or the Safari web browser.