On your first day, the primary focus will be taking care of the administrative paperwork associated with the new hire process, reviewing critical employment policies, responding to questions you have related to employee benefits options, and acclimating you to the layout of the campus.
The focus will also be on getting you set up with the proper computer, building and parking access and making sure you can successfully log onto the network, use your telephone, and send and receive e-mail messages. Purdue Calumet provides you with a colleague who serves as your New Employee Ambassador for the day to welcome you and offer assistance.
What To Do First
Most of the time, new employees are to report to Human Resources at 8:00 am on their first day. A typical first day for a new employee looks like this:
- 8:00 am Orientation with Human Resources
- 9:30 am Campus Tour with New Employee Ambassador
- 11:30 am Lunch with New Employee Ambassador
- 12:30 pm Basic Training with New Employee Ambassador
- 2:00 pm Meet with Supervisor and Get to Know Your Colleagues
Orientation with Human Resources
During your orientation with Human Resources, you will receive a “Start Date Packet”. In that packet, is your benefit enrollment form. It is very important that you complete the enrollment form as soon as possible and submit to Human Resources. You have 30 days from your hire date to make your benefit elections.
Most of the information in your start date packet is also available online. You can click on the links below to access the content.
Start Date Packet Contents
- Day One Agenda (customized for each employee – only available in print)
- Getting Answers to Your Questions (PDF)
- Faculty and Staff Handbook
- University Policies
- Equal Opportunity, Equal Access and Affirmative Action Policy (III.C.2)
- Anti-Harassment Policy (III.C.1)
- Procedures for Resolving Complaints of Discrimination & Harassment
- Policy on Amorous Relationships (III.A.1)
- Policy on Violent Behavior (IV.A.3)
- Smoke Free Campus Policy – Calumet (PDF)
- Speak Up – Hotline
- Use of Vehicles for University Business (IV.A.1)
- Official Holiday Schedule
- Calendar of Bi-Weekly Paydates 2013-14 Paydates
- Calendar of Monthly Paydates 2013-14 Paydates
- Application for Waiver of 3 yr Waiting Period for 403(b) Defined Contribution Base Retirement Plan (for Admin/Prof positions only) (PDF)
- How to Enroll in Voluntary Retirement Savings Plans (PDF)
- New Avenues Employee Assistance Program (EAP) (only available in print)
- Position Description (customized for each hire – only available in print)
- 90 day Provisional Employment Performance Evaluation Form (clerical/service staff only)
- Acknowledgment Form (PDF)
Tour/Lunch/Training with New Employee Ambassador
- After your orientation with Human Resources, your New Employee Ambassador will take you on a tour of the campus during which you will secure your network and e-mail login accounts, PUID badge, parking permit, and building/office keys. You will meet many new people along the tour.
- Your New Employee Ambassador will treat you to lunch in the Oaken Arbor Cafe. The Oaken Arbor Cafe is one of three places on campus where you can secure something to eat. This is an informal lunch and provides you an opportunity to relax and ask questions of your Ambassador.
- After lunch, your Ambassador will take you to your department where you will be familiarized with your workspace. Your ambassador will also help you log in to the Purdue Calumet computer network, help you log in to the OnePurdue portal, demonstrate the features of employee self service, conduct basic e-mail and telephone training, and establish a plan with you for maintaining contact during your first couple months.
- Most of the information your New Employee Ambassador will review with you can be accessed by visiting the links below
- PUID # Label (customized for each employee)
- Fitness Center - 3 day free pass
- Fitness Center Rates for Employees (DOC)
- PC Local Area Network/E-Mail Account/Career Account Request (Form 51) (DOC)
- Request for Access to University Facilities (Key Request Form)(PDF)
- In Brief Brochure
- University Life (DOC)
- Campus Activities (DOC)
- How to Use Your Office Telephone – Basics (DOC)
- Logging In to the PUC Network (DOC)
- How to Use Outlook E-Mail – Basics (DOC)
- Logging into the OnePurdue Portal (PDF)
- How to Change your Career Account Password (DOC)
- Accessing Employee Self Service (ESS)
- Accessing Paid Time Off Information Reports in ESS
- Navigating Important Components of the PUC Website (DOC)
- Accessing Pathlore (DOC)(training registration system)
- Signing-Up for “Alert Me” (DOC)
- Timecard Tips and Sample (PDF) (only for hourly paid staff)
Meet with Supervisor and Other Department Colleagues
You wrap up the day with a meeting with your supervisor discussing your position description, performance expectations, department organizational structure and department specific work rules. You may also meet your department orientation contact who may familiarize you with your workspace, the layout of your department/building, and provide you with specific instructions for using the features of your telephone and some of the office equipment.
Following are links to some documents that may be helpful for the meetings with your supervisor and department orientation contact.
- Wage Administration Policy for Clerical and Service and Operations/Tech. Assistants (VI.C.2) – includes Overtime Policy and Call Back Pay
- Emergency Preparedness Guide
- Using your Office Telephone – Advanced Features (DOC)
- Setting Up and Using Voice Mail (DOC)
Please note: in order to view some of these forms, you may need to download and install free document viewer plugins. You will find the links to those plugins in the navigation on the right of each page on this site.
Continue to During Your First Week.