Monthly Health & Safety Inspections are an important part of life at the University Village. This is our opportunity to ensure that residents are respecting each other and their community by resolving issues before they become a threat to the health, safety, and well-being of the community.
Our Health & Safety standards reflect our efforts to prevent our residents from suffering from issues such as sickness, theft, and suitemate conflict. Suites are also checked for issues that may affect property of the University Village in order to help residents solve small problems that may otherwise lead to damages. By solving these small problems throughout the semester, residents can avoid receiving large fines for damages upon leaving the University Village.
Health & Safety standards fall into three categories: Safety, Cleanliness, and Damages.
- Double-Extended, Frayed, Overloaded, or Exposed Electrical Plugs/Cords
- Insects, Pests, or Rodents
- Grease under Stovetop
- Coverings on Heating Vents, or Significant Dust/Blockage of Heating Vents
- Halogen Lighting (String Lights)
- Window Guards or Screens Removed
- Smoke Detectors Disabled
- Blocking of Emergency Egress
- Trash Outside of Bin (Overflowing or On Floor)
- Visible Mold/Bacteria (Including Toilet, Sink, Shower, Microwave, Refrigerator, and Freezer)
- Spoiled Food or Drink (Including Exposed Food/Drink, Microwave, Refrigerator, and Freezer)
- Laundry Outside of Basket (Overflowing or On Floor)
- Floors Dirty or Damaged (Heavy Grease, Stains, Dirt, Food/Drink, Streaking, Scratches)
- Heavy Grease/Stains on Burners, Sink/Mirrors, Stovetop, Oven, Microwave, or under Stovetop
- Visible Heavy Dirt/Debris (On Floors, Mirrors, Surfaces, Appliances, or in Shower/Basin)
- Standing Water (From Leak or Spill)
- Vandalism to Furniture or Appliances
- Vandalism to Ceiling, Walls, or Floor
If any issue listed above is found in a suite during Health & Safety Inspections the suite will fail inspections and have an opportunity to correct the issue before re-inspections.
If in the event of Health & Safety Inspections a resident is found to be in violation of a University Village policy, the violation will be documented and an incident report will be created by the inspection staff. Please visit our Resident Handbook for a full list of our policies.
The following are examples of policy violations that can be reported through Health & Safety Inspections:
- Drugs or Alcohol
- Unattended Guests
- Wall-Mounted Furniture/Equipment. (Anything that requires drilling into the wall.)
- Suite Lock Jammed or Disabled (A suite door may be open if the common area is occupied, but blocking the lock is not okay.)
- Candles, Heating Units, or Open Flames
- Furniture taken from other suites, bedrooms, or common areas.
Please note that policy violations are separate from Health & Safety standards, and you will not have an opportunity to correct these issues as you would for Health & Safety violations. (For example: If alcohol is found in your suite you will be responsible for violating our alcohol policy, regardless of whether the alcohol has been removed before the re-inspection date.)
If you would like more information on how to ensure your suite is not in violation of the Health & Safety standards, please visit our page on Preparing for Inspections.