Residents Moving Out of the University Village
You are responsible for thoroughly reading and understanding the expectations outlined in the University Village Check Out Guide. If you have roommate(s) who will be checking out after you, the expectations listed below do not change. We will expect a certain amount of belongings to remain in areas like the cupboards, refrigerator, and bathrooms. However, your personal belongings should be removed and these areas should be thoroughly cleaned and free of debris at the time of inspection. We expect you to work with your roommates to accomplish this task.
Special Notice to Residents Graduating in May
If you are not pursuing a post graduate education at Purdue University Calumet and you have an Annual Contract, it is your responsibility to complete a Housing Contract Release Petition Form and attach documentation that supports your graduation (i.e. letter from your advisor, etc.) and submit it to Carolyn Dildine, Assignments Coordinator. In your request, you will need to identify your requested move out date. If your move out date is past the May 19, 2013, graduation date, you may be charged a daily rate. If you have any questions, please contact Carolyn Dildine via email at Carolyn.Dildine@ purduecal.edu.
Residents Transferring / Withdrawing from PUC
If you will no longer be a student at Purdue University Calumet, it is your responsibility to complete a Housing Contract Release Petition Form and attach documentation that supports your withdrawal (i.e. letter from your advisor, acceptance letter from your new institution) and submit it to Carolyn Dildine, Assignments Coordinator. In your request, you will need to identify your requested move out date. If you have any questions, please contact Carolyn Dildine via email at Carolyn.Dildine@ purduecal.edu.
Residents With Roommates Who Are Checking Out
You are responsible for working with your roommates to ensure that the bathrooms, kitchens, and common areas of your apartments are cleaned as if you were moving out as well. This is an expectation because your roommates will be checking out and these items will be checked. If there are any damages or cleaning charges assessed to any common area, kitchen, or bathroom space, the charge(s) will be applied to everyone assigned to that apartment.
Official Check Out Schedule: Residents must schedule an appointment to officially check out of The University Village. Failure to schedule a check out time may result in an improper check out fee of $25.00. Residents may schedule check out appointments for the week of May 6, 2013, at the Service Desk in their residence hall beginning the week of April 29, 2013.
Scheduled Check Out Appointments: Residents must work together to make sure the apartment suite is ready for check out. It is also highly encouraged that any repairs be reported through a work order before the check out process begins.
We ask that residents arrive at the Service Desk in their residence hall on time for their scheduled check out times. Other residents will be waiting to be checked out so it is imperative that we keep to the schedule. If you do not show up on time for your appointment, you will need to reschedule with the RA on duty. If you are late and/or your check out is not honored, you will need to schedule another appointment.
Check Out Preparation
- Check outs will take approximately 15-20 minutes. The following tasks MUST be completed in order to have a successful check out:
- All personal belongings need to be removed from every area of the apartment suite.
- Bedroom, bathroom, vanity, living room, and kitchen areas must have the furniture wiped down, put back in its original place, areas must be dusted, free of garbage, the walls need to be free of debris, the trash needs to be removed and placed in the appropriate dumpster.
- All common areas (bathroom, kitchen, appliances, living room, etc.) need to be fully cleaned.
- All keys will need to be turned in during the scheduled check out appointment.
- The scheduled check out time will NOT be honored if the tasks listed above are not complete.
Failure to comply with the preparation check out list may result in additional charges to the resident’s student account. We expect for the apartment suite to be returned in excellent condition. Residents may receive charges for additional damages not previously recorded in the Unit Condition Form upon move-in.
- The bedroom is the individual resident’s responsibility. Any damages in the bedroom will be their responsibility regardless of who caused the damage.
- The common areas of the apartment suite are the responsibility of all assigned occupants. Any damage costs in common areas will be divided among the residents of the suite unless administration is informed by the responsible individual. If no one comes forward to own the responsibility for the damages caused, the damage costs will be divided up among the assigned occupants.
- Failure to move out in a timely manner will result in prorated charges, an improper check out fee, and be forced to vacate the University Village community. If a resident is forced to vacate, the Department of Housing and Residential Education will de-activate key cards, change locks, and store personal belongings to expedite the turnover process of the room.
Final Room Inspection
Final inspections and repairs of all rooms are conducted by The University Village Maintenance and Custodial Staff. They are responsible for assessing any damage/repair charges. Those charges are reported to Housing and Residential Education Administration. Charges are then placed on the appropriate student account. Resident Assistants do not assess/determine damage/cleaning charges.
Housing Billing Appeal Process
If your student account is assessed any damage/repair charges and you wish to contest any of the charges, you may submit an appeal by following these instructions:
- Fill out the Housing Charges Appeal form at: http://webs.purduecal.edu/housing/forms-and-docs/housing-charges-appeal/
- Appeals will be reviewed on a weekly basis, however, we ask that you allow at least four weeks for an Appeals decision to be made.
- Please note that if you are not responsible for damages within your apartment, the responsible party must come forward and accept responsibility before you can be found not responsible.
- Also note that you are responsible for the charges on your account until a decision has been reached regarding your appeal. Do not wait for an appeal decision to be made before paying your charges.
- Residents need to return their keys and stickers during their check out appointment.
- Residents need to complete a forwarding address card during their check out appointment.
- Bulk mail, magazines, and many discounted-rate postage classes cannot be forwarded due to United States Postal Service regulations.
- Please note that we cannot forward mail to International addresses.
- Residents leaving the community may not forward their mail to a University Village address.
- To improve the speed of our forwarding process, be sure to change addresses for the following commonly forgotten senders: insurance providers, banks/credit card companies, magazines, student loan providers, cellular phone providers, and additional bills.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation,
Department of Housing and Residential Education
For a PDF version of this document, please click below:
Check-Out Guide (Spring 2013) Downloadable PDF