PURDUE UNIVERSITY CALUMET – DEPARTMENT OF BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES
APPLICATION DEADLINES –
NOV. 1ST FOR SPRING SEMESTER
JUNE 1ST FOR FALL SEMESTER
Master of Science Program: Human Development & Family Studies (a specialization within Child & Family Studies)
General Admission Requirements to the Graduate School
1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a graduation index (grade point average) of at least 3.0 (B) on a 4.0 scale.
2. Proven academic ability for graduate work.
3. A $60.00 application fee payable online by credit card or by check via U.S. mail.
Admission Requirements to the Program
1. A completed online application (see ‘Steps to Apply Online’ page included in this packet of information.)
2. Three letters of recommendation. All of those letters must be from professional references (e.g., past or current employers, volunteer work supervisors, college or university faculty instructors or internship supervisors). The people who will provide references may complete them online as part of your electronic application materials or they may fill out the salmon-colored recommendation forms (you can request them from Dr. Kathryn Sweeney) and send them directly back to: Dr. Kathryn Sweeney, Department of Behavioral Sciences, Hammond, IN 46323-2094.
3. Two official transcripts of all previous college and university course work you have completed. Please have each university send two copies of your transcript directly to: Department of Behavioral Sciences, Purdue University Calumet, Hammond, IN. 46323-2094.
4. A written statement of purpose (approximately 500 words) that addresses the following:
A. Why are you interested in this program?
B. In what ways have your experiences prepared you for graduate study in HDFS?
C. What are your long-term career/academic goals?
D. How do you think this degree will assist you in obtaining these goals?
Thank you for your interest. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the Kathryn Sweeney, Coordinator of HDFS Master’s Program at: 219-989-8145 or firstname.lastname@example.org.