Graduate Aide Positions

PUC office

Graduate aide positions offer a tuition remission and a small monthly stipend.  Graduate aides may work as teaching assistants or research assistants.  Graduate Aide positions are very competitive, since there are far more applicants than positions available. To be eligible to hold a graduate staff position during any session, an individual must be enrolled as a graduate student in a degree-seeking or teacher licensure program and be registered for at least three credit hours of graduate level (50000 or above) course and/or research work during the entire appointment period.

Graduate aide positions are available on a quarter-time and half-time basis. Three-quarter time and full time positions or students with multiple positions totaling three-quarter or full time will not be allowed without prior approval of the Director of Graduate Studies. Health insurance is not available to graduate staff employees.

To obtain a graduate staff position inquire within your department or the Center for Career and Leadership Development. Please check with your admitting program for its policy on graduate aide positions.  Students may also find graduate aide positions around the university through Career Trax, listed on the Career Services page. Hourly student positions may also be available.

Fee Remission

Graduate students who are appointed as graduate aides are granted a tuition remission in addition to the pay received for the hours worked. The tuition remission leaves the student to pay $771.20 for general tuition PLUS technology, parking, and R&R fees per credit hour each semester (effective 2014-2015). Tuition and fees are subject to change every academic year.

The document for Graduate Staff Appointments Stipends is available through the Human Resources office, under Pay Scale documents.

A fee remission form must be submitted each semester a student holds a graduate aide position.    The student must complete the fee remission form and submit it to their employing department for the proper signature.     Signed fee remission forms must submitted to the Graduate Studies office no later than two (2) weeks after position appointment.

The Graduate Staff Fee Remission Form is available through the Office of Financial Aid and Student Accounts.

For frequently asked questions about fee remissions, please see FAQ-Graduate Staff Fee Remissions.

For additional questions regarding Graduate Staff Remission Policy, please refer to the Graduate Staff Employment Manual under Policies and Procedures on the Purdue West Lafayette website.