Frequently Asked Questions

What graduate programs are available?

The Purdue University Calumet campus offers 15 degree programs and several graduate certificates on its campus, including degree and non-degree options.


What financial support is available?

A graduate student may qualify for loans, the graduate distinction scholarship, graduate aide positions, and/or research awards. Please check with the Financial Aid Office for information on the requirements for loans and the Graduate Distinction Scholarship. Graduate aide positions offer a tuition remission and a small monthly stipend. Graduate aides may work as teaching assistants or research assistants. Graduate Aide positions are very competitive, since there are far more applicants than positions available. To be eligible to hold a graduate staff position during any session, an individual must be enrolled as a graduate student in a degree-seeking or teacher licensure program and be registered for at least three credit hours of course and/or research work during the entire appointment period. To obtain a graduate staff position inquire within your department, the Center for Career and Leadership Development, and or the Graduate School. Graduate aide positions are either on a quarter-time, half-time, three-quarter time, or full-time basis. Any full time positions require approval from the Office of the Graduate School. Health insurance is not available to graduate staff employees.

Please check with your admitting program for its policy on graduate aide positions. Students may also find graduate aide positions around the university through Career Trax, listed on Career Services. Hourly student positions may also be available.

How do I qualify for in-state (resident) tuition?

Please check with the Office of Registrar Residency for information on qualifying for in-state tuition.

What is the minimum GPA required for admission?

Each academic department sets its own admission requirements; therefore, some departments have a minimum GPA requirement and others do not. In addition, the Graduate School requires all students to possess a minimum of a 3.0/4.0 GPA (A=4.0) in order to be admitted without conditions. To determine if your program of interest has a GPA requirement above the Graduate School’s minimum requirement, check with your program of interest.

What are the requirements for English proficiency for international students?

International degree-seeking applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores for Purdue University Graduate School admission.  Test results must be sent directly from the testing institution to Purdue Calumet.

What is the TOEFL requirement?

The Graduate School accepts valid TOEFL scores earned through the paper-based test and Internet-based test.   Institutional TOEFL (ITP) scores are not accepted.  The minimum paper-based test score required for admission is 550. The minimum Internet-based test scores required for admission are the following:

  • Writing 18
  • Speaking 18
  • Listening 14
  • Reading 19
  • Total 77

Note that in addition to required minimum scores for writing, speaking, listening, and reading, the Graduate School also requires a minimum overall score that is higher than the minimums for the four area tests combined. Applicants must meet or exceed each of the five scores (listed above) for admission to the Graduate School. Some graduate programs require higher minimum scores. Please check with your program of interest for additional requirements.

Only official TOEFL scores received directly from Educational Testing Service are acceptable. For further information, visit TOEFL score reports are only valid for two years.

Are any other English proficiency tests acceptable?

The Graduate School accepts IELTS  test scores in addition to the TOEFL.

The Graduate School accepts International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores. An overall band score of 6.5 is required for admission. For more information, visit

Is there a fee for evaluation of international credentials?

An international student whose credentials cannot be evaluated by the admitting program at PUC may be asked to submit their transcripts or credentials for a course by course evaluation by a member of the National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (NACES). You may find qualifying organizations at If the applicant is asked to submit credentials for evaluation, the reviewing organization may require a fee.

Deadline for application?

Program application deadlines vary, so be sure to check with your specific program of interest for its application deadlines. For international students, the deadlines for admission are generally earlier to allow for visa approval processes. Applications from international applicants should be completed and fully submitted no later than June 1 for fall semester, March 1 for summer semester, and October 1 for spring semester, unless your program of interest requires an earlier deadline. In that case, the earlier deadline applies.

Are spring and summer admissions allowed?

Some graduate programs do admit for spring and summer. Please check with your specific program of interest to determine if spring and summer admissions are allowed.

Which transcripts do I need to supply with my application?

Read more about transcript requirements….

How do I change programs/departments?

Read more about change of department…