Language learning at PUC is supported by the International Media Center. The IMC promotes the benefits of learning other languages and cultures and facilitates the teaching, acquisition, and maintenance of foreign language skills and cultural awareness through the exploitation of technology and media. Students should take advantage of the IMC’s features, some of which include:
- Course-specific materials and other general language reference materials
- Music CDs and foreign films
- Audio and video software at each station
- Printing capabilities
- Educational recorders for oral assignments
- Word processing and spell check for each language taught at PUC
- Language Kits for Chinese, Japanese and Arabic
- Textbook-related grammar and pronunciation software
The Purpose of the IMC
The IMC also allows students to practice auditory, oral, visual, gesticular, and written language skills, supplements classroom instruction, allows instructor guided language classes requiring technology, and serves as an open lab for independent practice.
User Responsibilities in the IMC
- Please present a valid PUC ID when requesting access to machines or media, and proof of enrollment in a foreign language course if requested. No other ID is acceptable. No exceptions are made.
- The IMC printers are to be used by currently enrolled FLL students for work directly related to language studies ONLY.
- Please consult the Open Access hours & plan your visits accordingly. You will be asked to move to a new seat or leave (at the instructor’s will) if present at the beginning of Restricted Access hours.
- Save electronic files only to your ZIP/floppy/flash disk or to the folder on the server designated for your files, recognizing that the IMC is NOT responsible for your files.
- Respect the IMC’s environment by keeping your voice down, leaving food and drink outside, cellphones off, etc.
- Please treat all equipment with care and leave the stations in order.
- Report equipment or software problems to the staff.
- Place unwanted paper in the recycling box.
- Please do NOT alter any of the settings on any computer without prior permission from the IMC staff.
- Please DO NOT remove any borrowed materials from the IMC.
IMC Staff WILL NOT:
- do your homework for you
- answer instructional questions
- e-mail assignments to your instructor, or tutor you in a specific language (Please see Student Services for this)
The International Media Center is located in CLO 112, with the Foreign Language Studio next door in CLO 110, the home of the International Film Series.
As you enter CLO, turn right. CLO 110 and CLO 112 are located to your left as you approach the CLO Grab ‘n Go.
From the west: Travel on I-80 E and merge onto Indianapolis Boulevard via exit number 2 toward Hammond. Go 1.1 miles and turn right onto 169th Street. Go 0.2 miles and turn right into the North Parking Lot. The Classroom & Office Building (CLO) is the second building on the right.
From the east: Travel on I-80 W and merge onto Indianapolis Boulevard via exit number 2 toward Hammond. Go 1.1 miles and turn right onto 169th Street. Go 0.2 miles and turn right into the North Parking Lot. The Classroom & Office Building (CLO) is the second building on the right.