Fitness & Recreation Policies
- Everyone using the facility must check in at the Check-In Desk and have an active membership.
- All students and employees of Purdue Calumet must show their PUCID or a photo ID.
- All public members must show their membership ID card or a photo ID.
- Everyone must have their picture taken at the Check-In Desk. Their picture will be used as a way of identifying members.
- Everyone must have their proper ID to use the facility.
- Students can get their PUCID through Student Activities, (219) 989-2369.
- Employees can get their PUCID through the Police Station, (219) 989-2220.
- Public Members can get their membership ID at the Fitness Center desk, (219) 989-2715
- People caught “sneaking in” will be issued a NO TRESPASS from Purdue Calumet Campus Police.
- “Sneaking in” is defined as…
- Using the facility without checking-in.
- Checking-in with someone else’s ID.
- Not using the correct form of identification to use the facility.
Locker Rooms & Locks
- All members are encouraged to use the locker rooms; there are locker room facilities for men and women to use.
- Please do not leave valuable items unattended – members are encouraged to bring their own lock and lock up their stuff or use the mini check lockers. The Fitness Center is not responsible for lost or stolen items. If lost or stolen, Purdue Calumet Campus Police may be called upon request.
- Members cannot keep their belongings overnight in a locker. They must take everything with them upon leaving the Fitness Center. Lockers can be purchased at the Check-In Desk to store belongings overnight. All locks left overnight on unrented lockers will be cut off.
- Racquetball court reservations are recommended; to reserve a court please call the Check-In Desk at (219) 989-2550.
- Basketball courts are open to all members during open gym times, please check calendars located throughout the facility.
- The Specialty Room is used for academic and specialty classes along with the dance team practices. Members may use the room when it is not occupied by class or practice, please check the room schedule located outside the Specialty Room for availability. No one is allowed to reserve the Specialty Room. The Fitness Center staff reserves the right to control access to and use of the Specialty Room.
- Guests can purchase daily or weekly passes at the Check-In Desk and must conform to all rules and policies.
- Members wanting to take a shower must allow themselves enough time to do so. Everyone must be out of the building by closing time. No one will be allowed to “finish up” a set or take a shower at the time of closing.
Fitness Center Policies
- Shirts must be worn at all times. Shirts with offensive/profane messages are not allowed.
- Footwear must be athletic, soft-soled, non-marking shoes and must cover the entire foot. Open-toed and backless shoes are not allowed. Sandals, boots and heels are not permitted anywhere in the Fitness Center or Specialty Room.
- Denim jeans are prohibited while working out.
- Member’s coats, bags and purses are not allowed in the Fitness Center. Members are encouraged to use the locker room and lock up their belongings. Coats can be hung-up in room K-143, next to the Fitness Center.
FITNESS CENTER STAFF DETERMINES ON WHETHER FOOTWEAR/APPAREL WILL BE ALLOWED
- No food is allowed in the Fitness Center.
- No chalk is allowed in the Fitness Center.
- Offensive or profane language is prohibited.
- No one is allowed to video tape in the Fitness Center without the Fitness Center staff and the person(s) being taped permission.
- Re-rack your weights and return all accessories to their proper locations.
- Please wipe down equipment after every use, cleaning stations are located throughout the Fitness Center area.
- All drinks must be kept in a sealed bottle. Please inform staff of any spills.
- Be patient while waiting for a machine and ask to “work-in.”
- Allow others to “work-in.” Do not sit on the machines.
- Please do not use cell phones while resting on machines.
- Members are not allowed to move machines. Only Fitness Center staff is allowed to do so.
- Abuse or misuse of the equipment will not be tolerated.
- Avoid banging weights and dropping dumbbells. Equipment that is repeatedly broken will not be fixed or replaced. Please inform staff of any broken or damaged equipment.
- The minimum age requirement for a membership is to be at least a freshman in high school. No children will be allowed to use the Fitness Center.
- Ask Fitness Center staff if you do not know how to use the equipment.
- Be respectful to the Fitness Center staff as well as other members working out. Verbal or physical attacks will be addressed by both management and Purdue Calumet Campus Police.
- Please use headphones while listening to personal music.
- The use of the Fitness Center may be restricted at certain times. A notice will be posted when closed.
- All members are expected to abide by the decisions of the Fitness Center staff.
The Fitness Center staff reserves the right to revoke/terminate Fitness Center privileges from individuals who exhibit inappropriate behaviors. Staff will determine what is inappropriate behavior.
- All Fitness Center staff are first aid and AED certified. An AED machine is located inside the Fitness Center behind the desk. In case of a non-emergency situation, please see a Fitness Center Staff. If the situation is an emergency, please call 2911 with the red phones located throughout the facility or find staff to do so.
Track and Locker Room Closings
- Portions of the facility may be closed off for events or practices. Please check calendars located throughout the facility.
Lost and Found
- Lost and found is located at the Check-in Desk. Valuable items may be in the manager’s office. If you lost something, please call the Check-in Desk at (219) 989-2550.
- Specialty Classes are available for all current students, faculty and staff (spouses and SSDP), PUC Fitness Center members and the general public. For more information regarding Specialty Classes, click on the Specialty Class link or contact the Fitness Center staff at (219) 989-2175.
- Intramurals is a fun way to stay active and meet new people. All students, faculty/staff and members are welcome to participate. Please click the Intramurals link to access the Intramural homepage.
Athletic & Special Events
- PUC students, faculty/staff and the general public are welcome to attend all PUC home athletic events.
- The facility hosts several events throughout the year, such as The Spring Fling Race, The Fall Frolic Race, Job Fairs, Science Fairs and other events. For dates and times of special events, please refer to the monthly calendar of events posted throughout the facility or contact the Athletic Office at (219) 989-2540.