Purdue Calumet Five-Year Strategic Plan:
- Improve student success
- Promote and support faculty/staff excellence
- Develop a high performance learning environment
- Advance positive change and economic growth regionally through an expanded partnership role
Engineering Technology Department Mission:
The Department of Engineering Technology is committed to providing a broad base quality education and experience in the areas of electrical and computer engineering technology, industrial engineering technology, mechatronics engineering technology, and mechanical engineering technology. The department shall guide the students in achieving their full potential personally and professionally and contribute on a continuous basis towards the growing needs of the community.
In order to provide a structure to carry its mission, the department has developed a plan to accomplish the following goals by achieving the objectives supporting these goals. Following are the departmental goals and the five-year plan of initiatives to carry these goals:
Department of Engineering Technology Goals:
- Improve the quality of student learning and retention in all programs, options, and certificates. (Supports University Goal 1.)
- Promote and improve currency of faculty/staff. (Supports University Goal 2.)
- Improve, maintain, and support a modern student-learning environment. (Supports University Goal 3.)
- Engage in a partnership role with industries and other institutions in the region. (Supports University Goal 4.)
Goal 1 Objectives:
- Offer courses and/or modify existing courses to teach modern technologies needed by local or regional industries. (Ongoing.)
- Offer certificate programs that make the student marketable early in the curriculum. (Ongoing.)
- Involve students in industry through projects, faculty consulting.
- Increase student scholarship funds.
- Obtain endowment funds.
- Obtain additional funds for existing scholarships.
- Strengthen student organizations. Strategies:
- Pay, from departmental funds, for the first year membership of ET students (excluding seniors) to join key organization
- Continue a strong faculty participation in the student club. (On-going)
- Reactivate the amateur radio club.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a comprehensive assessment program.
- Develop course embedded assessment.
- Develop curriculum-based assessment.
- Develop and implement outcome based assessment. (Ongoing.)
- Market the ET programs.
- Departmental web page. (Ongoing.)
- Improve faculty/advisor communication with surrounding colleges and high schools. (Ongoing.)
- Maintain an up-to-date articulation with feeder institutions. (Ongoing.)
- Work closely with University Division to transfer the prospective students into the ET programs. (Ongoing.)
Goal 2 Objectives:
- Improve and encourage grant writing for laboratory equipment procurement.
- Reward faculty participation in grant writing.
- Reward faculty obtaining equipment donations from industry.
- Reward, encourage and support faculty development in their disciplines.
- Improve the part-time faculty program.
- List the names of continuous part-time faculty in the university catalog.
- Involve the part-time faculty in departmental meeting at least once every semester.
- Invite part-time faculty in the Industrial Advisory Committee meetings.
- Develop joint seminars given by part-time faculty.
- Reduce the part-time FTE while boosting full-time FTE.
Goal 3 Objectives:
- Collaborate with other departments.
- Expand joint course and degree offerings. (Ongoing.)
- Improve and expand sharing of laboratory equipment and space. (Ongoing.)
- Make the department a high-performance learning environment.
- Maintain laboratories and computing facilities. (Ongoing.)
- Increase Web-based instructions and assessment. (Ongoing.)
- Provide the student with the assessment feedback.
Goal 4 Objectives:
- Offer new programs/options, short courses, seminars, and training workshops in matters of regional/community interest.
- Offer new options as needed by industry and our constituencies. (Ongoing.)
- Develop specific short courses/seminars for targeted groups through Continuing Education. (Ongoing.)
- Seek support from industry and companies to backup state-of-the-art courses through curriculum and/or donation of equipment. (Ongoing.)
- Encourage and reward faculty consulting.