A Tornado Warning means a tornado has been sighted and poses an immediate threat. If you see a tornado while on campus, immediately call 911 (mobile device) or 9-911 (campus phone).
In the event a tornado warning alert is in effect, occupants inside campus buildings will be instructed by the Purdue Calumet ALERT Public Address System or a university representative to seek the nearest Storm Safe Area. The safest location is in any interior hallway or small interior room on the lowest floor of the building, away from windows and doorways.
University Police personnel will monitor the weather radio and other information sources to determine when to issue the All Clear message.
Faculty, Staff & Student Storm Safe Areas
The following areas are designated Storm Safe Areas in the event a Tornado Warning is in effect for this immediate area.
- 1247 169th Street Building – Main hallways and restroom
- Anderson Building – main hallway ground floor, restrooms and Anderson, room 148
- Classroom Office (CLO) Building – Main hallways on ground floor, center hallways, rooms 132, 135, 137, 139 and restrooms
- Community Services Building – Basement
- Fitness & Recreation Center – main hallway (by fitness center),Locker rooms and restrooms
- Gyte Annex Building – ground floor hallway and restrooms
- Gyte Building – ground floor hallway and restrooms
- Hospitality & Tourism Management – Main floor rooms, 121, 125, 126, 127,132, 133 and restrooms
- Lawshe Hall – Lecture Room 131 and ground floor restrooms
- Porter Hall – East/West hallway ground floor and restrooms
- Potter Building – main hallway on ground floor, restrooms and Potter, room 112
- Powers Building – Powers, rooms 108, 120, 121 and restrooms
- Riley Child Care Center – Storage area and west wall of Child Care Center, room 135
- Student Union & Library Building – cafeteria and Student Union & Library, room 100 (student lounge)
- University Services – S-21,25 (locker rooms)
- University Police Building – Men’s locker room
- University Village I & II– Main hallways on ground floor
* IF YOU DO NOT HAVE IMMEDIATE ACCESS TO A DESIGNATED STORM SAFE AREA THEN GO TO THE NEAREST INTERIOR ROOM WITH NO WINDOWS ON THE GROUND FLOOR OF THE BUILDING YOU ARE IN.
NOTE: Storm Safe Areas are posted by a distinctive sign in the above areas.