Know the location of fire alarms, extinguishers and evacuation routes and exits in the area you work or live. Follow evacuation routes and exits on available route maps. If none are located in your immediate area, evacuate to the closest exit in your building or floor.
- Activate Alarm. Upon discovering a fire, explosion or smoke in the building close the door to the room where the fire is located and immediately activate the fire alarm system.
- Warn Others.
- Evacuate Immediately. Taking your belongings with you, follow the evacuation route for fire, posted by all elevators, stairways, in classrooms and labs. Do Not re-enter the building until instructed to do so.
- Call for Help. After sounding the alarm, call 911 (mobile device) or 9-911 (campus phone), if time permits. Identify yourself and the location of the fire (floor and room number is possible).
- Do Not Use Elevators During a Fire Emergency.
- Advise firefighters on the scene if you suspect someone may be trapped.
- Report to the designated Emergency Assembly Area.
- Persons With Disabilities: Persons with disabilities should be assisted from the building by other persons in the immediate area. The transport areas are posted at the passenger elevators in each building. Police and Fire personnel will respond to these areas to assist in the building evacuation.
- Lawshe Hall: If you are on the second or third floor, go to the north stairway.
- Porter Hall: If you are on the second floor, go to the north stairway.
- Gyte and Gyte Annex: If you are on the first floor, exit through the south wheelchair ramp. If you are on the second floor, go to the northeast stairway. If you are on the ground floor, evacuate to the wheelchair ramp between Gyte and Gyte Annex.
- Potter Building: If you are on the second or third floor, go to the southwest stairway.
- Anderson Building: If you are on the second or third floor, go to the northwest stairway.
- Student Union & Library: If you are on the second or third floor, go to the northwest stairway.
- Powers Building: If you are on the second floor, go to the southeast stairway.
- CLO Building: If you are on the second or third floor, go to the southeast stairway.
- University Village: If you are on the second, third or fourth floor, go to the northeast or northwest stairway.
In the event of a power failure, University Police and/or the Building Deputies will use bullhorns to evacuate the building.