During the Quake
- If you are indoors, stay there. Get under a desk or table, or stand in a doorway or corner. Stay clear of windows, bookcases and outside walls. DO NOT USE THE ELEVATOR!
- If you are outside, get into an open area away from trees, buildings, walls and power lines.
- If in a crowded public place, do not rush for the doors. Move away from display shelves containing objects that could fall.
After the Quake
- Check for injuries. Apply first aid. Do not move seriously injured persons unless they are in immediate danger.
- Telephones should be kept open for emergencies. IF YOU DETECT THE SMELL OF GAS, DO NOT USE THE PHONE (INCLUDING CELL PHONES).
- If you suspect or know that someone is trapped in a building, notify emergency personnel on the scene first and call 911 (mobile deivce) or 9-911 (campus phone). Give the time when the victim/s were last seen, number of victims and their last known location.
- Do not touch downed power lines or damaged building equipment.
- If the building is damaged, follow the evacuation route located at the elevator, stairways and in the classrooms and labs. Do not re-enter until directed to do so by university personnel or police.
- Be prepared for aftershocks.