Obtaining Licensure


How do I obtain my initial license in special education or add a new license in Indiana once I complete the program?

There are different requirements for new teacher applicants and for currently licensed teachers. 

All applicants should visit the website of the Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) for details, including an explanation of the online application process: http://www.doe.in.gov/licensing

New teacher applicants should also visit the department’s web page on obtaining initial licenses for more detailed information: http://www.doe.in.gov/licensing/state-graduates.

All applicants are required to take and pass the Praxis II exam:  Exceptional Needs: Mild Intervention.

Depending on your status, you may also be required to complete CPR/AED/Heimlich Maneuver Certification and Suicide Prevention Training.  The state’s website (see above) offers information on where and how these training programs may be completed.

ADVICE:  Have your Praxis II results and documentation from the trainings (if required) ready prior to submitting your online application.  You’ll be asked to upload required items.  Once your application is completed and submitted, our PUC licensing advisor will verify completion of your program to the IDOE.


How do I obtain my initial license in special education or add a new license in my state once I complete the program?

The Special Education Program Advisor will help guide you through the process of obtaining licensure or certification outside of Indiana.