What Are the Requirements for Admission to the Program?
The program is open to current teachers and others with a bachelor’s degree and experience or interest in working with youngsters with special needs. To be considered for admission to the Graduate School you must also:
Possess a B average in previous related coursework (candidates with a 2.7-2.99 may be admitted on a probationary status);
Provide three letters of recommendation from appropriate sources including professors familiar with the candidate’s work or people in a supervisory role such as administrators, program coordinators, mentor teachers, and supervising teachers (peers, colleagues and friends are not appropriate sources);
Provide a written statement addressing reasons for pursuing graduate studies (which serves to reflect dispositions and as a writing sample) and sign the Graduate Studies in Education Department (GSE) dispositional policy;
Be currently employed in an education setting or have access to K-12 students in an education setting.
- Complete an interview (face-to-face or by Skype) with the Program Chair.
What Are the Deadlines for Applying?
Formal admission to the program requires a completed application as a master’s degree seeking student. (See section on the application process.) The master’s program application can take up to several weeks to process to complete depending on the arrival of your letters of recommendation and transcripts. Allow sufficient time. Here are the guidelines:
- For Fall (August) admission, applications should be completed by July 15.
- For Spring (January) admission, applications should be completed by December 15.
- For Summer (June) admission, applications should be completed by May 1.
What If I Can’t Meet the Deadlines?
If you are unable to complete the application as a master’s degree seeking student in time, you may begin the program with approval from the Program Chair as a non-degree seeking student. This type of application requires proof of completion of a bachelor’s degree or proof of a teaching license and typically can be processed within a few days. Then, you will have to the end of the first semester in the program to complete the master’s application. (See section on the application process.) Be sure to contact the Program Chair, Dr. Rita Brusca-Vega, email@example.com, if you intend to apply as a non-degree seeking student.
How Do I Complete the Application Process?*
1. Complete online masters application:
(This link should also be used if you intend to apply as a non-degree seeking student. Simply indicate non-degree seeking status when you are prompted.)
- Submit through online application:
Three Letters of Recommendation
- Acceptable References
- Someone who has supervised your professional skills/ experience
- Professors who are familiar with your academic skills
- People with whom you have completed related work
- Counselors who have supervised your work experiences I an appropriate counseling setting
- Unacceptable References
- Personal contact (e.g., dentist, family members)
- Acceptable References
As part of the admissions process, the candidate needs to answer the questions on this supplement. Please answer these questions in place of the Statement of Purpose on the online application.
Please provide the following:
- Full Legal Name
- Current Mailing Address
- Home Phone Number
- School Business Phone Number
- E-mail Address
- Current Employer and Position
- Social Security Number
Please describe the main factors that prompted you to pursue a Master’s degree in Special Education.
2. Submit two official transcripts from ALL colleges/universities, both undergrad and graduate, as well as two copies of your valid teaching license (if applicable).
Mailed or delivered to:
Rita Brusca-Vega, Ed.D., Chair, Special Education Program
PUC Graduate Studies in Education
GYTE Annex 104
2200 169th Street
Hammond, IN 46323
3. Follow-up with our secretary in the Graduate Studies in Education Office, Virginia Rhodes, by calling 219-989-2326 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
4. Once the application process is complete the candidate will receive an email notification of his or her acceptance.