Conflict Resolution Process

Purdue University Calumet Guidelines for Handling Student Disruption in Learning Environments

Student disruptions in Learning Environment Civility Forms Guidelines (PDF)  – PDF document that includes the Handling Disruptions in Learning Environments Form

Student Classroom Civility Guidelines for Faculty form (PDF) – PDF document that includes the Handling Disruptions in Learning Environments Form

The process for addressing student issues, concerns, or problems is as follows:

Purdue University Calumet seeks to help students with problems at the most appropriate level in the University. Students should proceed through the appropriate department in which the student had the issue, concern or problem as outlined below by following the appropriate chain-of-command.

Classroom/Academic Issues

Students should discuss classroom issues with their instructor. If unresolved, students should follow the academic-chain–of-command for that department.

Non-class Issues

Students should discuss University issues with the appropriate staff member or supervisor.  If unresolved, students should follow the non-academic-chain-of-command for that department.

Harassment and Discrimination Issues

If the complaint is student-to-student, faculty-to-student or staff-to-student, students should report issues of harassment and/or discrimination to the Office of Equity and Diversity for appropriate referral and action by calling  219.989.2337 or emailing

Filing Complaints Inside of Purdue University Calumet

Filing Complaints Outside of Purdue University Calumet

If you believe your complaint has not been properly addressed within Purdue University Calumet, you can enter your complaint with other organizations at the state and national levels.

The Indiana Commission for Higher Education authorizes Purdue University Calumet to offer undergraduate and graduate certificates, baccalaureate and master’s degrees.  You may submit a complaint at the ICHE website [Opens in New Window].

Purdue University Calumet is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.  Information regarding the complaint process can be found at the Higher Learning Commission website [Opens in New Window].

Distance Learning

Students in distance learning programs can also submit a complaint to the state where they are residing as they taking the course(s).  Below is a state-by-state list of agencies in each state responsible for complaints regarding out-of-state distance education programs.

Complaint Resolution Contacts by State