Department of Construction Science and Organizational Leadership
Purdue University Calumet
Strategic Plan 2008 – 2013
The Department of Construction Science and Organizational Leadership (CSOL) is one of three departments constituting the School of Technology at Purdue University Calumet. This Department currently offers degree programs in Construction Management and Engineering Technologies and Organizational Leadership and Supervision. These programs were developed more than 50 years ago when technology programs were implemented in the Purdue system to meet the increasing needs of industry for a technically-trained workforce. These programs serve a wide variety of businesses and industries in the Calumet and Chicago regions. The CSOL Department is committed to maintaining its reputation for high quality, applied technology and leadership programs that serve the local region, the State of Indiana, and the nation.
2008 – 2013 Strategic Plan
The Department of Construction Science and Organizational Leadership 2009 – 2013 Strategic Plan builds on its commitments to student success, a quality learning environment, faculty and staff excellence, and community engagement to foster economic development across the Calumet region. The plan is shaped by regional needs and by the State of Indiana’s expectations for higher education.
The Department of Construction Science and Organizational Leadership will be a premier department providing distinctive education and student experience opportunities across all of its academic offerings, preparing students for professional and personal success in a global technology and leadership environment. The department will also be a premier resource for local economic development through its commitment to teaching, applied research, scholarship, community service, and the recruitment and retention of an outstanding faculty.
The Department of Construction Science and Organizational Leadership’s mission supports that of the University and School of Technology, and is committed to the following core values:
- Provide quality programs in construction and leadership beneficial to the diverse groups of students, businesses and industries in the Calumet region and beyond.
- Provide students with guidance to become productive, participating global citizens and life-long learners.
- Provide an atmosphere where faculty can be committed to quality education, applied research, creative endeavor, and professional development.
- Maintain state-of-the-art facilities and laboratories to facilitate education in technology, leadership and applied research.
- Create partnerships within the University and externally with businesses and industries to benefit student learning, technology transfer and regional economic development.
- Recruit and retain an outstanding, diverse faculty skilled in interactive learning methods, research and forging partnerships with business and industry, government and community organizations.
The Dept of CSOL will develop and deliver programs and courses at the undergraduate, graduate, certificate and continuing education levels that are relevant to its constituencies. This includes existing and new programs and courses in emerging areas, utilizing alternative delivery methods, as appropriate.
The Dept of CSOL will strive for excellence of student learning by fostering an environment that nurtures both personal and professional growth, and an understanding of the societal implications of technical and leadership decisions.
The Dept of CSOL will provide an environment that supports faculty and staff professional development, enhances their expertise, and encourages activities pertaining to scholarly articles, grants and contracts, and participation in professional societies.
The Dept. of CSOL will expand the graduate programs that are relevant to business, industry, and government focusing on applied research.
The Dept. of CSOL will continue to seek opportunities for building mutually beneficial partnerships with its alumni, businesses and industries, and government.