A review of single phase and three phase circuit will be given. The single phase and three phase power transformers and their applications will be presented. The DC machines, single phase and multi phase AC synchronous and induction machines will be studied. The stepper motors and their applications will be presented. Servo motors will be studied and their applications in automation will be given.
Upon completion of this course the student will:
- Develop a profound knowledge of rotating machinery.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the application motors and generators to provide motive power to mechanical systems.
- Examine drive systems and regulating control systems with respect to the type and characteristics of motor selection.
- Identify and understand the application of the different types of motors and their maintenance requirements.
- Project a comprehensive fundamental understanding of primary motor and generator variables, i.e. IR drop, CEMF, Response time Horsepower, Torque, and Flux control.
- Complete the basic knowledge of transformers presented in EET 152.
- Understand power generation and distribution in multiphase format and the efficiencies of doing so.