Probation FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions:

You probably have a lot of questions since receiving notice that you have been placed on academic probation. The following will help clarify the situation, and the Center for Learning and Academic Success or your academic advisor can provide any additional information you need.

Why have I received a letter stating that I am on academic probation and must start the Academic Recovery Program (ARP)? (back to top)

You are being required to begin the ARP because your cumulative grade point average (GPA) is below the minimum required for good academic standing. Probation status can be based on either your semester index or your graduation index, but the Academic Recovery Program is only required for students on probation due to their graduation, or cumulative, GPA.

The minimum GPA is based on your classification. Your classification increases with every 15 credits you complete. Contact the Registrar’s Office if you do not know your current classification. The required GPA for each classification is listed in the table below.

Classification Cumulative GPA
0 and 1 1.50
2 1.60
3 1.70
4 1.80
5 1.90
6 and up 2.00
NOTE:  If your classification is a ‘7’ or ‘8’ you are exempt from the ARP requirements.

What does it mean to be on academic probation?
(back to top)

The ARP requires you to meet with your academic advisor to develop a plan for increasing your GPA. The requirements of the ARP were listed in the letter you received and are as follows:

  • Enroll in no more than 12 credit hours for full-time status
  • Enroll in GNS 290A (Learning Strategies) – if registered for 9 or more credits
  • Repeat any “F” grades
  • Repeat any “D” grades in major
  • Receive no grades of “W” or “I” unless approved by Advisor
  • Receive Tutoring or Supplemental Instruction, if available, for all courses and verify your participation to your GNS 29000 instructor

A hold is placed on your registration for the following semester when the Registrar determines that you qualify for the ARP. To have the hold removed you must meet with your academic advisor before the end of late registration.

Why does PUC require me to develop an ARP?
(back to top)

PUC has developed this program based on research and successful programs at other universities. The required steps have proven to be successful in raising student’s GPA. The Faculty and Staff at PUC want to partner with you to ensure your academic success and eventual graduation from PUC.

What is GNS 29000 – Learning Strategies?
(back to top)

This course is designed to teach you how to study efficiently and effectively. You will also be guided in giving serious thought to what led to your being on probation and how you can prevent it from reoccurring. The Faculty and Staff at PUC know you are capable of successfully completing your coursework, but something has obviously been hindering your ability. The theory behind this class is that unless you are taught some new strategies, the chances of long term success are low.

Why do I have to repeat all my “F” grades and “D” grades in my major?
(back to top)

The fastest way to raise your grade point average is to receive a better grade in the courses in which you originally earned an ‘F’. In most academic programs you cannot have a ‘D’ in any class required for your major, so that class would have to be repeated regardless of your academic standing.

Why is Supplemental Instruction or Tutoring required?
(back to top)

It is critical that you raise your GPA as soon as possible. Therefore, the university is requiring you to receive some extra assistance. Hearing information a second time from a supplemental instructor or a tutor is likely to help you retain the information and thus, should result in improved performance.

I am a part-time student. Do I have to follow the same ARP as a full-time student?
(back to top)

You are required to meet with your academic advisor and design an ARP to determine when you will be retaking the classes in which you earned a ‘D’ or ‘F’.

The Learning Strategies course is only required of students enrolled for 9 credits or more. You are not required, but are encouraged, to take GNS 29000 if you are enrolled for 6 credits or less.

I am a full-time student. Can I become a part-time student in order to avoid taking GNS 29000?
(back to top)

Becoming part-time (6 credits or less in this case as determined by the University) simply to avoid GNS 29000 is strongly discouraged. This class is designed to develop new skills and strategies that will help you achieve academic success now and in the future. If you do become part time you cannot become a full-time student again, without taking GNS 29000, until your cumulative GPA is in good standing.

The Learning Strategies course is only required of students enrolled for 9 credits or more. You are not required, but are encouraged, to take GNS 29000 if you are enrolled for 6 credits or less.

In addition, part-time status may cause you to be dropped from your parent’s health insurance, and it could have a detrimental affect on your financial aid package.

How can I get off of academic probation?
(back to top)

When your cumulative GPA rises above the minimum required for your classification you will be removed from academic probation. The table above lists the required GPA for each classification.

The letter I received mentioned that my progress may be monitored with an Academic Alert System and mid-term grades. What does this mean?
(back to top)

The Academic Alert System is an online resource for professors to report a student who they are concerned is on track to fail their class. A professor may submit a notice if a student has excessive absence, does not turn in homework, or any other behavior deemed harmful to academic success.

PUC instructors have the option of providing mid-term grades through PCSTAR.

What happens if I do not raise my GPA to the minimum required level this semester? Is there a time limit to get off probation?
(back to top)

There is not a specific time limit to be removed from academic probation. However, it is required that you demonstrate progress toward removal. If at any time your graduation index falls below the minimum required to attend PUC, or if you receive an ‘F’ in 6 or more credit hours in one semester, you will be academically dropped from the university.

What does it mean to be academically dropped?
(back to top)

If you are academically dropped you cannot register for any classes on either a credit or audit basis for one regular semester (summer session does not apply). At the conclusion of the non-active semester, you may apply for readmission. The applications and procedures for readmission are available in the Office of the Dean of Students. A $100 fee is required upon reapplication. Students who have been academically dropped more than once are required to complete at least one calendar year of non-attendance before being readmitted.

Students are academically dropped if they receive an ‘F’ in 6 or more credit hours in one semester or if their graduation index falls below the levels listed in the table below.

Classification Cumulative GPA
0 and 1 1.30
2 1.40
3 1.50
4 1.60
5 1.70
6 1.80
7 1.90
8 2.00

Can I change my major while on academic probation?
(back to top)

Yes. In fact, you are encouraged to consider this possibility if you are having difficulty in your current major classes.

What are the services offered on campus to assist me in achieving academic success?
(back to top)

Have other questions?
Please call Center for Learning and Academic Success at 219/989-2339 or 800/HI-PURDUE x2339.
We’ll be happy to help you or direct your call to the appropriate person.