Am I Ready to Declare my Major (CODO)?

A guide for deciding when the time is right for you to transfer from the Center for Learning and Academic Success to your chosen major.

The Center for Learning and Academic Success (CLAS) was designed to prepare students to transfer into the program/school of their choice after initial admittance to the university. Your time in CLAS was always intended to be a temporary stay on your educational journey. Therefore, there is a limit of 48 credit hours (or 4 semesters) that you can earn while in CLAS before you must declare your major.

The following is a list of checkpoints to help you know when you are ready for a Change of Degree Objective (CODO):

  1. In GNS10300 and/or using other available resources, I have explored majors and careers and have decided on a plan of study that matches my values, interests, and goals.
  2. I have visited the Change of Degree Objective (CODO) (opens a PDF in this window)  section on the Registrar’s website to look up the requirements for the school I would like to transfer to.
  3. If I had questions, I met with my academic advisor in the Center for Learning and Academic Success to discuss the prerequisite courses I need to take and the Grade Point Average (GPA) requirement necessary to CODO to the school I have chosen.
  4. I have maintained a GPA high enough to gain admittance into the school of my choice and taken the necessary prerequisite courses.
  5. Print out and complete the CODO form.   Follow the Office of the Registrar’s guidelines (link opens in this window) for changing your major. The Change of Degree Objective page contains all the instructions and the form you will need to complete to officially declare your major.
  6. Make an appointment with your potential new academic advisor and bring the CODO form with you. Once eligibility is determined, your new advisor will sign the form.
  7. Take the completed and signed form to the Registrar’s Office in Lawshe 130.
  8. After the CODO form has been processed, verify your updated information in myPUC.

If you have questions about Purdue Calumet majors or the CODO process, speak with your academic advisor in CLAS, Lawshe 122. Call (219) 989-2339 for an appointment.