Declaring a Major – CODO

This process is known as Change of Degree Objective (CODO).  First, make an appointment with your current advisor and then follow the steps listed on the Office of the Registrar’s web page (link opens in this window).  The Office of the Registrar’s web page also includes the admission requirements for each School.  Make sure that you have met those requirements before starting the process.

Many students are able to transfer to their departments after one semester.  Departments with special admission requirements (Nursing, Education, Management, and Engineering) may take longer.

Use this checklist to determine if you are ready to CODO:

Am I Ready to CODO? (link opens in this window)

The Center for Learning and Academic Success (CLAS) allows students to remain in the Undecided (UND) status for 48 credit hours or 4 semesters.  You will need to CODO to a major after that time.  If you do not yet meet the admission requirements for the major you selected, you must petition CLAS for a one-semester extension.  Your CLAS advisor can explain the process in more detail.

Remember that if you do not complete the CODO process, you are not officially in your new major.  Make sure you follow the steps outlined by the Office of the Registrar and complete the necessary forms.