Open Lab Tutoring
Become a better student, increase your confidence and understanding… come for FREE tutoring.
Student Academic Support is staffed with over 40 faculty recommended student tutors who have demonstrated proficiency in the courses they tutor. They must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in their subject area. Stop in and give us a try, free tutoring in most university subjects is available throughout the semester.
What to expect in Open Lab Tutoring sessions:
- Peer-assisted, small group tutoring
- No appointment necessary – check the tutoring schedule and walk right in
- Sessions are very interactive, and tutors will lead you in doing your own work
- Tutors will help you to become an independent, confident learner
- Tutors will help you structure your work, and they can help you discover your learning style
What NOT to expect in Open Lab Tutoring sessions:
- Tutors will not do your work for you. They will not write, edit, or proofread your papers, and they will not give you answers, but will help you find your own answers.
- Tutors will not re-teach the course material. You must attend class, do the assigned reading, and take notes to receive tutoring.
- Tutors will not be available only for study sessions before exams. You are expected to meet with your tutor on a regular basis throughout the semester.
Tutoring Center Hours of Operation:
Open Lab Tutoring is available year round, but the hours of operation vary depending on the time of year. Listed below are the general hours of operation for the tutoring center, but we recommend checking the subject specific schedules for more detailed information.
- Fall – Spring Tutoring Center Hours: Monday-Thursday from 10am-7pm / Friday from 10am-4pm
- Summer Tutoring Center Hours: Monday-Thursday from 10am-5pm
Subject Specific Tutoring Schedules
Student Academic Support offers tutoring in a wide range of subjects. We do our absolute best to post the tutoring schedules as they become available. The following links will take you to the schedules for the subject listed:
- Math Tutoring Schedule
- Science Tutoring Schedule
- Foreign Language Tutoring Schedule
- Other Subjects Tutoring Schedule
Frequently Asked Questions About Open Lab Tutoring
Q. What is Open Lab Tutoring?
A. Open Lab tutoring is small group tutoring sessions offered in a variety of subjects. The tutors are fellow students that have excelled in the subject matter and have been recommended by a faculty member.
Q. What does a tutor do?
A. Tutors are peers, often upperclassmen, who have extensive knowledge in the subject matter. Tutors provide encouragement, clarify concepts and provide opportunity for practice. A tutor DOES NOT do a student’s work for him or her.
Q. Do I have to make an appointment?
A. No, just check the schedule to make sure there is a tutor available in the subject you are seeking and walk right in.
Q. How much do the Open Lab Tutors charge?
A. Open Lab tutoring is FREE and available only to Purdue Calumet students.
Q. What subjects can I get tutored in?
A. Students are tutored in many subjects such as math, science, foreign language, engineering, management, and accounting.
Q. Where do I go for tutoring?
A. Tutoring takes place Monday through Friday in Gyte 102, 106, and 071 as well as Porter 100 (per the schedule).
Q. Is private one-on-one tutoring available?
A. Yes, for a reasonable fee, private tutoring is available to Purdue Calumet students and non-students through the Private Tutoring program.
Q. How can I become a tutor?
A. If you are interested in becoming a tutor, please visit our Student Employment page for more information.
If you have any other questions or need more information, stop by Gyte 102 or contact us at 219-989-3227.