Continuing Students

As a continuing student in CLAS you were assigned to this department for various reasons.  Some pertain to Purdue’s admission requirements while others pertain to departmental admission requirements.  We encourage you to speak with your CLAS advisor any time you have questions about your educational and career goals.

Here are some commonly asked questions that students in CLAS may have regarding advising, registering for classes, selecting and changing your major, and more.


Who is my advisor?

You were assigned an advisor during your first semester at Purdue Calumet.  You may look on your myPUC account to see your advisor’s name.

What if I want to see the same advisor that I met with previously?

When you call or walk in the CLAS office (Lawshe 122) to make an appointment, just ask for an appointment with the particular advisor you prefer.  If you have no preference, you will be given the first available appointment.

Why should I meet with my advisor?

Academic advisors are knowledgeable about the degrees they advise and can help you graduate on time.  They understand the university’s policies and procedures as well as their department’s.  It is too easy to get the wrong advice from a well-meaning friend.

Review the advising syllabus, which provides more information about academic advising expectations.

Advising syllabus – PDF (link opens a PDF in this window),

Advising syllabus – alternate text only version (link opens in this window)

If I like my advisor, why can’t I continue to see her/him after I transfer to my major’s department?

The advisors in the CLAS office advise Freshmen and sometimes Sophomores.  They do not have the career or course information to help you select the specific upper-level courses for your major.  That is why there are both professional and faculty advisors in the departments.  Faculty advisors teach and do research in their field, which helps bring you the latest career information.  Professional advisors can refer you to specific faculty to discuss career options.


Is an advisor appointment necessary for continuing students during Early Registration?

Not always.  If you feel confident selecting your courses, or if you have talked with an advisor prior to Early Registration, you may web register.  Registration for Summer and Fall semesters typically begins in late March.  Registration for Spring semester begins around late October.

Why do I have to web register?

Using the portal to web register allows you to register on the first day your classification allows.  If you need help web registering, see our guide on “Registration Procedures” (link opens in this window).

Why should I register early?  I want to wait until my grades are in so I know if I passed or not.

Registering early allows you to get the courses you want at the times you need them.  If you wait until it is time for the new semester to begin, you may not get the courses you want.  If you don’t pass a prerequisite, you can go online through myPUC and change your class schedule.

Am I ready to take an online course?

Taking an online class is not only convenient but can supplement your schedule of in-seat courses.   There are advantages to online courses, but you also need to have realistic expectations before you register.  Find out if you are ready to take an online class (link opens in this window).


How long will it take me to declare my major?

Change of Degree Objective (CODO) is the term Purdue Calumet uses for changing a major.  How long it takes depends on whether you have any course and/or skill deficiencies.  Students must remove course deficiencies before they complete 30 credit hours.  Many students are able to transfer to their departments after one semester.  Departments with special admission requirements (Nursing, Education, Management, and Engineering) may take longer.

How long can I remain an undecided student?

CLAS allows students to remain in Undecided (UND) status for 48 credit hours or 4 semesters.  You will need to CODO to a major after that time.  If you do not yet meet the admission requirements for the major you’ve selected, you must petition CSA for a one-semester extension.

How do I change my major?

See our guide to “Declaring A Major – CODO” (link opens in this window) for more information.  The instructions to change your major are also outlined on the Office of the Registrar’s website along with the forms you need to complete to process.


How do I transfer to West Lafayette?

Currently, you must be in a degree-granting department or admitted as an undecided (UND) student.  You also need to complete 12 credit hours and have at least a 2.0 GPA.   See our guide to “Transferring Purdue Calumet Courses” (link opens in this window) for more information.

What is a Bingo Sheet and where do I find it?

A Bingo Sheet (yes, that’s its original name) is a list of all courses required for a particular Purdue Calumet degree.  It is also known as a Plan of Study, but most everyone just calls it a Bingo Sheet and all Purdue Calumet degrees have them.  You can find Bingo Sheets online on the departments’ websites or in the departments’ offices.

Access the Undecided (UND) Bingo Sheet (opens a PDF in this window) to see which courses are recommended for undecided students.

What if I have a problem with an instructor?

University protocol requires that you first discuss the issue with your instructor.  If the issue is not resolved, then you need to speak with the department head of the area where the course resides.  If you feel the issue is still not resolved, then you may go to the Dean of the School where the department resides.

Do not go directly to the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, or Dean until you have exhausted the above options as they will only refer the issue back to the department head.  It is also best that you and your classmates (if other students are experiencing problems as well) discuss the issue with the instructor and/or department head.  This could lead to a faster resolution for everyone.